~~ .22 cal. Rifle. My Wife and I: Need Your Advice~~

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carey Frennier

Reaction score
I just saw a post on an AR-15 here on the site. It got me thinking about all the fun I've had with different guns while growing up on the farm.

Amanda and I have been talking on and off about getting into it again as a means of doing something out of the house and with her father.

We don't want to spend much on ammo so a .22 cal. is the way to go for us.

I wanted something that was very interactive like a bolt action rifle. Maybe something with a more modern twist. Synthetic thumb-hole stock with at least a 10 shot mag.

Back when I was a teen, I really liked Bushmaster, Reminginton, Savage Arms, and Ruger for the less exotic rifles.

Anyone have any links or thoughts?

Not much help here, just memories. Somewhere around my folks house is my dad's old, black, synthetic stock Remington semi-automatic 22. It had the rod behind the the butt of the stock that you pulled out to fill with shells.

Boy, did I ever kill a LOT of woodchucks with that bad boy.

I've got to grab it next time I am at the old homestead. My folks have both passed on, but the house is still in the family.

The closest Remington that I have found to that old gun, that is even close to being comparable is linked below:

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
This is my Marlin 882 SS. It is bolt action, stainless steel, .22 mag, synthetic stock and very fun to shoot.

[Broken External Image]:

Remington 10/22 is a good one, the rifle has been around forever, great rifle, fun and easy to shoot, acurate as hell. they come with 10 round mags, plus you can but aftermarket one that hold more it needed. these are not bolt action rifle, they are semi-autos. priced normally around $200.00 new.

if you are looking for something a little more acurate with a little more range you might want to look at the 17HMR. ammo is a little bit more, but it is a fun zippy round. the 17 HMR is also a rim fire ammo, has about the same kick as the 22, maybe just a hair more. Savage and Marlin both make great bolt action 17HMR rifles.

Hope this can help some. have fun just remmeber to be safe about.:D

We have a Marlin Model 60. We really like it.

It is a semi-auto and tube mag. The Ruger 10/22 is a really nice gun, but the price for the 60 is just really hard to beat. I like that the Ruger has all sorts of stocks, mags, etc. for it. While that is a good thing, I see it as a bad thing...for me. I end up wanting to invest more money into it to customize it.

I have a Savage .22 smooth bore for shooting bird shot. It is bolt action and a rifled barrel can be had for about $150.00. The accu-trigger is really nice on Savage rifles.

Stick with a .22 LR. Ammo is cheap. If you get a bolt action tube fed rifle, you can shoot .22S, .22L, and .22LR ammo. If you get a .22 Mag, you are stuck to always using .22 Mag ammo. It is not cheap to buy.

With a semi-auto .22LR you must use .22LR ammo. Not that it isn't a big deal, but sometimes it would be nice to shoot something smaller.

Hope I was able to help.

Tom

I have a Ruger 10/22 and love it. i know you are considering a bolt action but there is a world of accessories for the 10/22 out there it is incredible. and I agree with Tom on the accu-trigger, it is really nice and i would like to buy a bolt action savage .22 next. good luck.

Back when I first got married in 1966, my late father-in-law had a great little 22 rifle. I don't know the brand but it was pretty old even then. It had an octagon shaped barrel with a tube magazine that fit inder the barrel and it was a pump action like a shotgun.

That gun was extremely accurate and I could pick off a squirrel at distances that people could not even see the squirrel or what I was shooting at.

...Rich

I've got a Marlin .22 bold-action with tubular magazine that holds ~20 rounds. Very rugged simple gun that has been a lot of fun for me since I got it over 40 years ago as a kid. I wanted the tubluar magazine because it would hole many more rounds than the clip.

Good luck!

My cousin had a little competition rifle that I really like to mess around with. Its a little .17 cal. It had the composite stock with the thumb hole. I am pretty sure its a remington. I'll try and figure out for you. But its a dedicated targer shooting gun. Lots of fun.

I own both the Ruger 10/22 and a Marlin 60W. Both are semi automatics. Both are fun to shoot and I do not have a complaint about either one. Both are very accurate. The Ruger is a little more expensive than the Marlin. I tend to maybe lean toward the Ruger 10/22. But you cannot go wrong with either rifle.

Jerry

The Ruger 10/22 is the same gun they came out with in the 1960s. It was a good gun then and is a good gun now. Parts from the 60s gun will interchange with todays gun. I put a lot of rounds through mine without any problems. They come with 10 round mags that fit inside the receiver so nothing is out. There are also 20, 30, and 40 round mags. Mods for the 10/22 are unlimited. Price range is $180 to $200. If you can afford the price take a look at them.

First off my fault.. for some reason I said Remmington 10/22, not Ruger 10/22, sorry i was half a sleep...the funny thing is i own a 10/22.

But as for sites with mods... there are many. This rifle has been around for a long while. Some of the mods and site can get pretty pricey though. an easy way to find them is this google ruger 10/22, but here are some that i know of and found.

Goto http://www.cheaperthandirt.com and order a catalog. They have a whole section dedicated to the 10/22. The 10/22 is NOT a bolt action rifle. It is a semi-auto.

The reason I say it is because you said you wanted a bolt action rifle.

For a bolt action, as I said before, the accu-trigger on the Savage Arms rifle is really nice.

A really nice lever action rife is made by Henry Arms. The Golden Boy is VERY pretty. So pretty, you almost don't want to shoot it. There are other Henry Rifles that cost less than the Golden Boy does. Henry Rifles are made in America by Americans.

Tom

Have a kimber of Oregon Mod 82, mint, orig Box, papers if i can find them, leopold scope, kimber rings, upgraded wood, long out of production, less than 10 rnds fired.

As new for being 25 yrs old.

$950.00 shipped, you pay all FFL transfers.Thats a hella price.

I don't know. I did the tactical mod thing when I was a teenager and I'm thinking more of a all out target/ range rifle this time. I was thinking bolt action because it would be more involved but I'm not sure if that is what I want to do anymore.

Latest posts