20K Mile Tires?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shelby Crane

Reaction score

I have 19K miles on my 07 Trac. I constantly check the tire pressure, even after I take it for the tires to be rotated and instruct them to "set all the tires at 35 psi" - which they never do.

Surprise to me to pull into my shop today and one of the mechanics said "time for some new tires." Sure enough, they are at the wear bar.

They are Goodyear Futuras. Anyone else have this problem? I don't lay wheels, they have been rotated every 6k, and I watch the tire pressure. Any chance of a warranty on these tires? Does the warranty have to go through Ford or can any Goodyear dealer do it?

Thanks for any help.

i have the stock michelin's on my 07, and at 21K, i probably will get another 5K out of them before they are ready for a change. since we are comming up on winter here in the northeast , i am going to change them in december.

i also have rotated twice and i just think it's "the nature of the beast" with this type of vehicle.

i have had an 02 and 04 trac and had the same issues. not sure on the warranty issue, but it's worth a shot. not a good life span on tires :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone know how wide the rims are on the 07 Limited with the 18" rims?? I'm thinking a little bigger rubber. Anyone put bigger tires on the stock rims? How big??

dunk, i am going to bigger on my 07 lmtd when i get my next set. not sure of the size yet. i will wait for to see if anyone has done it

I am just over 28k on my '07 V8 Trac, and am approaching the wear bars on the Michelin Cross Terrains. Same tires on my '01 Trac lasted until about 50k. I think the '07 wears them out faster because of the weight. The tire selection for the 18" wheels are not that great right now. Just before I sold my '01I had replaced the tires with Goodyear Silent Armors for one month, and loved them. Not available for my '07 though yet. Looking on Tirerack.com, there are only like 6 different tires available, and some of them are a "touring" type tire.... :(

I beleive those tires should come with a 60K mile tread wear guarantee. If they wore out in less than 20K miles and the wear is not caused by abuse or neglegt, Goodyear should give you a prorated rate on a set of new tires. My guess is that it should be about a 66% reduction in the price of new tires. Beware that this discount would only apply to the full tire price, not sales prices.

This may not apply to OEM tires if you did not purchase a warranty from Goodyear.

...Ricjh

My stock Michelins got 8500 miles. Ford issued me a check to buy my Toyos.

Think it was my driving?

Wow, my stock Michelins only have 13K miles on them and I don't recall seeing any significant wear but I'll definitely have to take a closer look when i get home. Of the 13K miles, about a third of the miles is towing ~5K lbs so I probably need to take a closer look. My expectations where to get at least 35K out of the Michelins but we'll see.

My toyos have 3k on 'em now and the outside corners are feathering from cornering. I think it's me.

Got 20k out of the OE Goodyears on the Ranger I had before. Rotated every 5k, psi checked weekly.

Put larger REVOs on my Trac almost immediately after getting it, got 20k out of the first set, rotated every 5k, psi checked weekly. Might squeak 25k out of the second set. Only thing I'm happy about is that they passed inspection last month and my lease is up in January. Have Leasee Protection Plan or some such for $2500 in coverage including tires. If I opt to buy it I think I'll get LT-rated tires next time. Too heavy for a P-rated tire IMHO. BFG All-Terrains are supposed to wear like iron.

We got 104,000 miles out of our factory Michelins as I said above, and have put about 26,000 miles on a set of Uniroyal Liberators since then, with little sign of wear. What are y'all doing to your tires?:eek:

Dunk,

You can go up to 275/55R18 without any issues. 285s are getting too wide for 7.5" wheels. See my library...........I have 275s (Toyo Proxes ST). /Brad

Called a Goodyear dealer today. I'm going to bring it in tomorrow. They said they would "take a look at them."

dreman - I drive aggressive and I have towed a 3k+ trailer about 3k of the 20k miles. Other then that, I check my tires weekly and rotate them.

Still, I think I should get more then 20k out of my tires. :(

I got about 40k out of my stock Michelins. About 20k now on my Bridgestone Dueler Alenza's and they still look new.

Dreman, I've never heard of ANYONE getting 104k out of a set of tires. Maybe you better check your speedometer. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
My tire mileage depends on the purpose for which I've built the vehicle. I doubt I'll ever see more than 10k out of a set on this truck.

I have noticed that mine are getting close to the wear bars as well. My 2007 has 18,500 miles and I have had it for almost a year now. Mostly in-town Atlanta driving and at least 10 road trips.

'03 4x4 ST

I'm at 98000 with a set of Michelin LTX M/S's... Will probably get another 5-8000 out of them. Best tire I've ever owned, but not the original tires. I had the Goodyears replaced with the Michelins before I took delivery...

Hmmm... Do the 07s really rip through tires that fast?

Latest posts