2011 Ford Explorer reportedly to be built in Chicago on Taurus X platform

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Cloutier

Reaction score
At the 2008 Detroit Auto Show, Ford unveiled the Explorer America concept. It was a car-based crossover concept that, in theory, would improve efficiency versus the once popular body-on-frame Explorer SUV. According to union officials at Ford's Chicago plant, the next Explorer will be produced at the Torrence Avenue assembly plant in 2011. Union officials claim that Ford promised the Explorer to Chicago as part of the recently reworked UAW contract.

Might be the end of the road for the SportTrac.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know that's only the concept design, but my LORD is that thing fugly!

Why does progression seem to mean "alien looking" in the auto industry?

I wonder if the Sport Trac will become the basis for the new Ranger or the Ranger replacement.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if the Sport Trac will become the basis for the new Ranger or the Ranger replacement.

Unfortunately, the Sport Trac is an endangered species. Once Ford stops producing body-on-frame Explorers, that's it for the Trac as we know it.

greg,

Ford sells 50-60 thousand sport tracs a year without advertising, which is basically as much as their plant can handle. Why advertise something when you can only just meet current demand.

Mike

The ST is no more after 2011. No concept drawings, model refresh, or supplier news after 2011. From what I understand is the Explorer is going unibody.

I did hear talk among some engineers that Ford is considering a total Ranger redesign as a trac replacement but I'm not sure if anything is in the stages. The F100 was killed so who knows, looks like the trac has come to an end.

Jeffksf,

It looks more like the Flex than the Edge to me.

Mr Rugby asked:
Ford sells 50-60 thousand sport tracs a year without advertising, which is basically as much as their plant can handle. Why advertise something when you can only just meet current demand.

Because if Ford invested money in a GOOD marketing campaign for the ST and it increased sales accordingly they can build and ramp up production and make more money, arguably.

Stealth marketing campaigns sell to those that would normally buy anyways. The real money is turning those consumers that would otherwise NOT buy into buyers. That's what good marketing does...again, arguably.

TJR

50-60 thousand a year seems pretty light. I recall that the assembly plants I worked under with Tier I suppliers did anywhere from 950-1400 vehicles a day at full production rates.

Gavin,

Keep in mind that the Louisville Assembly Plant turns out not only Sport Tracs, but Explorers and Mercury Mountaineers as well.

Latest posts