2010 Gen 2 STA key remote range

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Les C

Reaction score
Is it just me or does anyone else have a Gen 2 STA [ in particular a 2010] that the remote has a very short range as far as locking and unlocking the doors? I have to be w/in I'd say 2-3 car lengths. Whereas, w/our Gen 1 Sport Tracs we can be much further away & their remotes still work. Just checking. Thanks, Les C

I've noticed the same thing as I have recently changed from a 01 to a 07. my 01 worked at about 75yds and my 07 will not work over 25yds.

I've got the 2010 as well, and I've noticed it's an even shorter range from some angles, best from straight on front or rear. I had two Nissans that I could control from 100 yards. Plus a hold on the unlock would roll down the windows so you could air it out on a hot day from across a parking lot. My wife's QX56's range is a lot longer. It's not quite 100 yards, but if you can't remember whether you locked it, you can hit the button from inside a restaurant and hear the horn beep confirmation. With the ST, I have to walk back out to within a few paces like you're saying.

Here's a tip. With most any lock remote, if you hold it up against your chin when pressing the button, it'll increase the range. Not sure exactly how, but it works.:grin:

My '10 remote range is noticably shorter than my '07s and '03s were. I changed the battery in the remote and it made no difference. Not really a problem unless I can't remember where I parked my Trac and I want it to call out to me so I can find it.

Latest posts