2008 - 2010 STA Tire Problems

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anybody here with a 08-10 STA have problems with there Pirelli Scorpion STR. I have a 2010 and have taken it back for a balance but I think it's just the nature of the tires. I had a 07 ST with the 18 Michelins and the ride was great but the wore fast. It seems like around 60-65mph I pick up a vibration with the pirelli's. Any thoughts would be great and has anybody replaced there set with something else?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same problem. Vibrations just past 65. New aftermarket rims and tires, BAD BAD BAD vibrations from 40+. Got worse with speed. Put the factory wheels back on and the vibrations are back at 65. Not so bad that its unbearable, but still there. Dealer has been pretty good about investigating, but cant pin point it.

I just bought a 2009 STA a few weeks ago.

I have the same vibration is at 100kmh thru 120kmh 65-75mph.:angry:

Worse after sitting a few hours for sure.

Have not gone back to the dealer. Kinda waiiting to see if anyone gets this resolved, so I can do it in one trip.

I am going to contact the Pirelli reg rep and ask about this next week.

I have a 2008 Adrenalin and have experieinced the same thing. Further they wore out at almost 14K miles. We own a Ford dealership so we tried everything to remedy the vibration. I wound up putting Yokohma Parada Spec-X tires on the factory rims. It now drives and rides better than any Spot Trac I have ever been in. It also handles better now in wet conditions and high speed cornering. I am very glad that I made this switch

Tire Rack ranks it as the #1 tire in the P25550R20 size.

I would highly recommend this tire for any one looking to replace their existing tires.

Results based on 108 submissions of our online tire survey.

Surveyed Averages 1 100% 9.0 8.9 9.2 9.1 9.4 9.1 8.0 7.4 7.1 9.0 8.9 8.6 779,494

Would You Buy This Tire Again?

Most said: "Definitely" (Average of 9 out of 10)

How Did This Tire Rank In Its Category?

1 out of 12 tires (Score of 8.6 vs best tire in category score of 8.6)

Compare This Tire to Other Street/Sport Truck All-Season Tires

Color Key

Superior (8.6-10)

Fair (2.6-4.5)

Excellent (6.6-8.5) Unacceptable (0-2.5)

Good (4.6-6.5)

FURTHER:

I have recommended this tire to several customers who own Sport Trac Limiteds with the 18" wheels. Their Michelin tires were not holding up. All have swtiched to the Yokohama Parada Spec-X. All rave about them and say they will own nothing else.

So.. Hoping swithcing to these tires will help you all enjoy your Sport Trac better also.

I researched for several months before going this direction, but have no regrets with these tires.

I had the Pirelli's on my F150, had vibs. Bought the 09 ST 4x4 and it has the Goodyear Fortegra and they seem fine at all speeds???

Just to comment on the Yokahama Parada-X.

While tbrooks recommendation may give them good remarks, you must take the reviews on tire rack with a grain of salt. Reviewers have only logged approximately 800k miles on the tires. Where by comparison the Pirelli STR has over 5 million miles traveled by reviewers (which isn't even that much compared to other tires on the site). This number alone always tells the story that when a new tire pops up people always rate them well because typically they have just been swapped out for very worn out OE tires and not enough people have tested them long to determine there true performance.

And again most times people are left with a bad impression on OE tires because they are worn out. Most likely they would feel the same improvement if they went with the OE tire again because a new tire performs so much better than a worn one.

In conclusion i would be more inclined to recommend the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza. While logging over 10 million miles from reviewers it still gets high remarks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yokohma Parada Spec-X replaced my Pirelli Scorpion STR and the vibration is gone.:banana: So it's was the tires "Thank God!". It rides and drives just like my O7 Limited did; smooooth, which is how it should have done to start with. The dealership was great and that's where the new tires came from. I just wished ford would buy the old pirelli's back but I'm just glad it's fixed.

My tires vibrate a lot when I first start driving. It's worse when cold. If they have a chance to warm up they perform better.

Also, I just had to replace one tire on my STA. I found that with 10,500 miles, as compared to the new tire, mine are almost half worn out! I don't even drive this thing hard. Usually I'm trying to compete with myself on getting the best fuel economy.

This means that I will have to sink a ton of money in tires about a year from now. Bleh!

Well we rebalanced the wheels again and they were requiring excessive amount of weight.:eek:

Moved the tires 180 degrees on the rims and it helped alot.

When warm, the truck has no vibes. When cold, it shakes like a leaf in the wind.:wacko:

Talked to Pirelli rep today, and he told me to replace all 4 tires.

Hopefully this will remedy the issue. I will post again with the outcome in a few weeks.

Latest posts