• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SportTrac Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Parts Wanted 2007 XLT lug nuts for the stock aluminum wheels.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OLE442

4 wheel drive
2nd Gen owner
V8 Engine
Reaction score
Some where way to close to the effen city
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
Noticed today that I'm missing one lug nut on my truck. I'll just go get new ones from a parts store. Thanks!

OLE442

Last edited:
Why not go to your local parts store, and buy a solid lug-nut? IMO, ALL of FORDs lug-nuts are junk. We bought a new King Ranch in 2017, and it didn't leave the lot without replacing the nuts. They were "caps" on top of the nuts. All of my FORDs have new nuts.

Our local store, sells DORMAN, McGuard, and Gorilla.

Were the other nuts loose? Did you just have the tires rotated? I'd be checking them, just for your sake/safety sake.

Just my $0.02

I had them rotated about a year and a half ago. I don't drive it every day (2007 just turned 90,000 miles). So most likely the shop missed one. I'm going to hit all of them with the torque wrench shortly. I will most likely go get new from a parts store. With postage, the used ones could be more costly.

I hit all the other lugs with a torque wrench and they were all fine. So, the shop probably missed tightening that one down or maybe someone needed a replacement and just decided to access a free one off my truck. Who knows?? Any rate, I got a new Dorman from Napa for like 4 bucks.

Good !!!!!!!!!!! The factory ones are absolute J U N K !!!!!!!

Just curious.......in what way are they junk? Do the threads strip or something. All but this new one are original to the Sport Trac when I bought it new?

The FORD lug-nuts that were on our first 2008 Sport Trac, our 2015 King Ranch, and our 2017 King Ranch had the standard FORD lug-nuts on them. They are a thin metal cap over the top of a "standard style" lug-nut.

Over time they crack, allow moisture inside of them causing the nuts to swell (that sounds painful), then when a tech goes to rotate the tires, their socket won't fit on them, causing a problem taking them off, therefore creating the need for a new set of nuts.

FORD was sued over them, in a class action suite, but the consumers lost, BECAUSE they are considered a "wear item", like a serpentine belt, or a set of brake pads, for example.

Therefore, I deem them J U N K !!!!!! LOL ;)

The FORD lug-nuts that were on our first 2008 Sport Trac, our 2015 King Ranch, and our 2017 King Ranch had the standard FORD lug-nuts on them. They are a thin metal cap over the top of a "standard style" lug-nut.

Over time they crack, allow moisture inside of them causing the nuts to swell (that sounds painful), then when a tech goes to rotate the tires, their socket won't fit on them, causing a problem taking them off, therefore creating the need for a new set of nuts.

FORD was sued over them, in a class action suite, but the consumers lost, BECAUSE they are considered a "wear item", like a serpentine belt, or a set of brake pads, for example.

Therefore, I deem them J U N K !!!!!! LOL ;)
"FORD was sued over them, in a class action suite, but the consumers lost"!

Doesn't sound like FORD is quality job 1 anymore to me. I'll have to look into that, My '07 only has 90,000 miles but the things like the two piece spark plugs kinda make me mad. There are about 10 things on these that are questionable as to why FORD produced them with these issues in the parts they used. I've been a MUSTANG guy since the 1960's and this is the first and last new FORD I'll ever buy!

Last edited:
It's my understanding that most of the vehicles have the 2 piece lug-nuts. When I worked for O'Reilly's we sold a ton of Dorman lug-nuts as replacement parts !!!!! So, the problem isn't just FORD.

can confirm, just replaced 20 lugnuts on the Acura MDX with Dormans, because the OEM lugnuts are the two-piece ones and they are swelling up looking nasty..
my 2004 has standard lugnuts and I expect them to last the life of the vehicle, which quite possibly will be mine too..

I broke one lug nut cover off of my 1990 Ranger while changing a tire in a foot of snow while going over a pass. Was not happy that the tire wrench did not fit the bolt size under the pretty chrome cap. Fortunately my wife suggested I use the large vice grips in the tool box. I was skeptical, but after jumping up and down on the vice grips, I got the lug nut loose. Bought new lug nuts and a “cross wrench” when I bought new tires for the truck.

Latest posts