2007 Step Bars

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 56477

Reaction score
Question:

Hot to remove top part (plastic) of 2007 of step bars for painting? Looks to be some sort of snap but I don't want to break them.

Thanks in advance,

Eric

Couldn't find anything for the Gen 2 in the Ford Manual or projects section. Gen 1 "should" be similar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eric, you're timing is right on. I'm looking to do the same thing.

Since I don't want to destroy anything, I'm thinking of just dropping the whole running board, taping the body trim on the side and painting it off the vehicle. That'll allow me to clean up the brackets too.

The parts break down certainly shows all the different pieces.

I repainted the running boards on my '07 a couple of years ago. Unless you need to redo the brackets there should be no reason to disassemble anything. Just mask off the silver parts and spray the plastic. Krylon Fusion in satin black in a rattle can worked for me. Just clean the plastic parts first with isopropyl alcohol to remove any dirt or oil and spray away.

I repainted mine last year after I bought the truck. I just taped everything off and used Rustoleum's Trim and Bumper paint. They have held up great, even through the cruddy Michigan winter.

Keith S.

Latest posts