2007 Explorer 4x4 ?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TracN Jack

Reaction score
Can someone explain how the "Auto" four wheel drive feature in our 2007 Eddie Buaer Explorer works? Does is Automatically turn on when some of the RSC sensors indicate.

The manual is not that clear.. and the wife(who drives the truck) keeps asking HELP!!!

When it is in auto its 80% to the rear and 20% to the front. When shifted into 4X4 hi. or lo. or lock its 50/50 hope this helps. Bill

When it is in 4x4 auto, it is in RWDmode. When the rear tire slips, the front locks the transfer case. It will then release back into RWD mode.

Try it out. Get on something slick and floor it. You will feel the transfer case lock into 4x4 mode.

It is not to be confused with an AWD transfer case that will distribute torque between the front and rear axles.

Use 4x4 mode when the roads are really slick and you can feel the transfer case kicking in and out. Besides that, just drive it like you normally do.

Tom

Tom, when I read your post at first I thought you were referring to 4x4 HIGH when you said 4x4 mode. The switch buttons on the dash are labeled 4x4 AUTO, 4x4 HIGH and 4x4 LOW. I think what you described is 4x4 AUTO and that is the default setting. The other two buttons will lock the transfer case and there will be no slippage between the front and rear axles. You must be stopped and in park or neutral to engage 4x4 LOW. Unless the roads are completely snow or ice covered or you are driving off-road you are probably better off leaving it in the default 4x4 AUTO setting as this will not cause undue wear and tear on drivetrain parts should you encounter dry pavement.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts