2007 4.0 l sport trac reliability

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone have some information on Dillard000's suggestion of
' * 33kMiles\4Yr Trans ATF+Filter+ValveBodyBoltReTorq+BandAdjust '
Any 'How to" guides you know of off the top of your head?
Fluid+Filter Change
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=5r55e+fluid+filter+changeBand Adjust
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=5r55e+band+adjustmentTorque Specs
https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/threads/what-are-the-valve-body-torqe-specs-5r55e.180919/
"Google & YouTube are your friend!"

Proceed with caution. I bought a beautiful, well kept, 2007 4.0 Sport Trac with 173K. 6 months down the road, it was back at the dealer for a remanufactured transmission, and radiator. That was a 4 month repair due to COVID. A few months after that, we replaced the water pump and thermostat housing. A month, 6 weeks after that repair, it was back in the shop for a heater hose replacement that cost a small fortune. I replaced the blend door actuator for the climate control. Today we are chasing a check engine light, along with a traction control light throwing a code of P0117. Again, proceed with caution. I don't own this vehicle outright, so I am continuing to throw money at it. That's what I get for purchasing my "dream vehicle".
This sounds exactly like the situation I was in. Beautiful truck. 2007. 205k miles on it. But no record on car fax of many routine service completed. Usually not a big deal but while it was under warranty you should expect that stuff to be done at the dealer ( 30 miles service, 60 thousand miles service) as the warranty usually covers that. On a 2007 you would expect more than 11 service records. Due to me not being able to confirm the timing guides were replaced or the transmission service completed, I passed. I have heard from many people the Simple things like charging spark plugs is extremely hard on this engine. I have a jeep that I can do almost everything on myself. Is that true? Is changing spark plugs that difficult on this truck?

In the future.., buy the s/t with problems. Bad motor or tranny. From someone selling it cheap on line… if the body is 100 percent rust free.
Now you can drop 5 grand into truck….FOR THE LONG HAUL…10 years keeping it….if not… buying a semi new jeep….with payments. May be your best option…
Just curious, why Jeep?

$5500 for a ST with 200,000 miles is too high.
it was a 2007 and physically in great shape. The interior and exterior looked brand new. Just the mileage and not being able to verify the big maintenance was done is why I questioned it so much. But I think I am passing on it.

it was a 2007 and physically in great shape. The interior and exterior looked brand new. Just the mileage and not being able to verify the big maintenance was done is why I questioned it so much. But I think I am passing on it.
If it is the truck u wanted- like people on this sIte- and it was in great shape, go ahead and put some$ into it. If u bought a new truck today for 60k it will depreciate driving to your house as much as putting a new engine and tyranny into the Trac IMO.

If it is the truck u wanted- like people on this sIte- and it was in great shape, go ahead and put some$ into it. If u bought a new truck today for 60k it will depreciate driving to your house as much as putting a new engine and tyranny into the Trac IMO.
I’ve always felt this way too. My only problem is the cost of the engine and transmission. While cheaper then a new truck, a new truck was never an option for me. The engine for this truck is not cheap. Reman it’s around 4k-5 k before install. And I’ve heard of people only getting a fraction of miles from their reman as they got from the original motor. Some only 30k miles. I would not be happy with that. And it really does seem like the repairs and maintenance on these takes a professional. Not a user friendly engine. However I do think the sport trac is a really neat looking truck and would get one maybe one day. I just would like to have more confidence that huge repairs where not coming up.

Latest posts