2007 4.0 l sport trac reliability

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdcarpenter82

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
I’m looking to get a sport trac with 200k miles on it for ?5,500.00. Super clean. Drives nice. What an I looking forward to with longevity? How long could this go without major engine or transmission issues? Is rebuilding the trans a very expressive job on these? Anything to look out for? Thanks

I’d find another, or get it for half the asking price. A bunch of miles on that 4.0, unless you have a long list of receipts for major work done, then maybe.

No receipts showing major jobs. I can only guess that a transmission repair or major engine repair would have shown up on a car fax.

Maybe, maybe not. Depends where it was done, if it was.

If you can get it for less than asking price, then maybe pull the trigger. But the 4.0 is not exactly user friendly.

Gotcha. Thanks. It seems like a lot of the repairs on this truck require a shop. A lot of modules. I am use to a jeep where you really do everything yourself.

Honestly they are not that bad. Most indie shops have scanners that can hook up to most, if not all, modules on these. Not to mention you can pick one up for a few hundred bucks on eBay and just do most of the stuff yourself.

I’d try to keep an eye out for a 4.6, less drivetrain issues and easier to work on, especially 09-10. But, that’s assuming it’s been adequately maintained.

Does the 09/10 have a different transmission?

For the 4.6, yes. I’m not sure for the 4.0.

Thanks. Did the 07 4.0 have known transmission issues? I’ve heard that they did. If so is that a expressive fix? Thanks for replying by the way

I just looked up the vin and it appears the one I’m looking at has the 5 speed transmission.

I just looked up the vin and it appears the one I’m looking at has the 5 speed transmission.
The 5 speeds s/t were made 2001/2003 that’s it …3 years they are extremely rare….one out of a 100.. but the trannys are not. Same manually tranny 2003 and up in the Ranger…
They’re indestructible if you don’t run them out of oil…if you’re loco…and young. You can put a manually in the s/t from junkyard for about $200 bucks
All parts Ranger. Plus lots of labor…
Never have to worry about tranny problems again…I have 2 manuallys
But they were stock .this is what I’m told but I never tried or checked to see if the trannys were the same size..so you would have to check in Orlando you pull and pay usually has 10/12 rangers in the junkyard any given month

The 5 speeds s/t were made 2001/2003 that’s it …3 years they are extremely rare….one out of a 100.. but the trannys are not. Same manually tranny 2003 and up in the Ranger…
They’re indestructible if you don’t run them out of oil…if you’re loco…and young. You can put a manually in the s/t from junkyard for about $200 bucks
But they were stock .this is what I’m told but I never tried or checked to see if the trannys were the same size..so you would have to check in Orlando you pull and pay usually has 10/12 rangers in the junkyard any given month
O I’m sorry. This transmission I’m talking about is a 5 speed automatic. I’m trying to find out about the reliability of this transmission. It’s off a 2007 sport trac 4.0 L. It’s a automatic not a manual. Does this change your opinion on it being indestructible? The transmission that I’m concerned about is 5R55S

Was this for a manual transmission or were you talking about 5 speed auto?

V6~4.0L~SOHC Engin & 5r55e AutoTrans all years+models,
are very likely to have serious failures after ~200kMiles
if they have NOT had these routine items done:
* 4kMile\6mth Engin Oil+Filter
* 100kMile\12Yr Engin OilPressurized TimingTensioners
* 33kMiles\4Yr Trans ATF+Filter+ValveBodyBoltReTorq+BandAdjust

Last edited:
Proceed with caution. I bought a beautiful, well kept, 2007 4.0 Sport Trac with 173K. 6 months down the road, it was back at the dealer for a remanufactured transmission, and radiator. That was a 4 month repair due to COVID. A few months after that, we replaced the water pump and thermostat housing. A month, 6 weeks after that repair, it was back in the shop for a heater hose replacement that cost a small fortune. I replaced the blend door actuator for the climate control. Today we are chasing a check engine light, along with a traction control light throwing a code of P0117. Again, proceed with caution. I don't own this vehicle outright, so I am continuing to throw money at it. That's what I get for purchasing my "dream vehicle".

Anyone have some information on Dillard000's suggestion of
' * 33kMiles\4Yr Trans ATF+Filter+ValveBodyBoltReTorq+BandAdjust '
Any 'How to" guides you know of off the top of your head?

Proceed with caution. I bought a beautiful, well kept, 2007 4.0 Sport Trac with 173K. 6 months down the road, it was back at the dealer for a remanufactured transmission, and radiator. That was a 4 month repair due to COVID. A few months after that, we replaced the water pump and thermostat housing. A month, 6 weeks after that repair, it was back in the shop for a heater hose replacement that cost a small fortune. I replaced the blend door actuator for the climate control. Today we are chasing a check engine light, along with a traction control light throwing a code of P0117. Again, proceed with caution. I don't own this vehicle outright, so I am continuing to throw money at it. That's what I get for purchasing my "dream vehicle".
In the future.., buy the s/t with problems. Bad motor or tranny. From someone selling it cheap on line… if the body is 100 percent rust free.
Now you can drop 5 grand into truck….FOR THE LONG HAUL…10 years keeping it….if not… buying a semi new jeep….with payments. May be your best option…

That's what we get for purchasing a 15 year old vehicle with that many miles. I bought a 2004 with over 200000 miles the owner died, and kept up with everything maintenance wise. But I expected to replace many parts on a 18 yr old vehicle

Latest posts