2007-2010 as work truck

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcobra302 78

Reaction score
hey,

i have used an 03 and currently using an 04 as a work truck. they both have worked out really well. just curious if anyone is using the gen 2 as a work truck.

there is a consistant 500lbs in the bed and i do go off road quite a bit. i upgraded the endlinks, sway bar, brakes, tires and added the road master suspension to get the 03 and 04 to work. the gen 1 st is perfect with those mods but not really sure if the gen 2 with the indy rear is up to the task.

the f150 is just to big for my needs.

any comments would be appreciated.

kcobra302

This is just my opinion, I literally have 0 experience with gen 2 tracs, so somebody may pipe-up and completely negate my statement.

I believe I read somewhere that the Gen 2 Trac was designed to be more of an on-road vehicle with a "street inspired" design, whereas the Gen 1 trac was designed with an aggressive off-road look and personality.

That being said, I'm sure there are some great additions to the Gen 2 Trac that would make it a very worthy work truck, such as the V8, the extra storage compartments in the bed and the stability control.

I think if you have found the Gen 1 trac to be a very successful work truck, you ought to emulate that success with another, lower mileage Gen 1 trac. Not only would you know you are getting a proven vehicle, but you'd be able to re-use all of the modifications you added to your previous truck.

Just my two cents.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only "work" I've done in mine has been mostly the Home Depot trips. Did go up to wine country to pick up used wine barrels for planting at the house. Had no problems.

In the future, want to tow a boat, and use my Trac as a tow vehicle behind my RV. More play, than work.

I've heard Shaun T's explanation of the Gen1 vs. Gen2 Tracs from others, and it makes sense.

there are a lot of attributes of my 09 i really like and i think they would translate into a good work truck. but i have to admit i am not sold on its off road capability, though it has been off road on only a couple of times but it felt fragile compared to the gen 1.

i have owned 3 gen 1's, 2 of them as work trucks, and they have held up well. all over a 100,000 miles and are pretty good off road with the right tires.

tough decision

thanks guys

Mine is a work truck,'07 LTD, can't haul volume, but I always have work material in it and pull trailers. In the construction field, so stuff like concrete mix, sand, cement, block, 2x material, wheel barrrows, if I can get it in the bed or on the racks, I haul it.

And my field office!

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't haul particularly heavy stuff, usually, but it is often loaded with equipment and a ladder tied to the roof rack. 500 lb. I wouldn't worry about. I seem to recall that bigger swaybars are available now. Someone said a while ago that you can get a fuel tank skidplate for a Gen 2 since it is a fleet-only option, you can get it from Ford Parts. I am considering one since the Gen 2 sits lower.

Latest posts