2006 2.5 Jetta

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just bought the wife a new 2006 Jetta up here in Kanucklehead land. We are doing a 4 year lease, and turning a lemon of a 2003 Grand Am.

We did lots of looking around at cars in the similar category, such as the Accord, Camry, etc. We love the options and look of the Jetta's, let alone the options you get. The Accords and Camry's really have nothing exciting with them. Have read mixed opinions of older model Jetta's, with some reliability issues. However, Volkswagen redesigned them late this year, and review seem quite positive.

Anybody own a 2005.5/2006? Opinions are welcome.

p.s. I still my Trac :wub::wub::wub:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never met anyone that owned anything but a lemon Grand Am. Three of my co-workers owned them when I arrived two years ago. All three have since been towed to the salvage yard.

err on me, the Grand Am is/was a 2003, and we have had problems from the get go. My Trac is my first Ford, and I think we have sworn ourselves out of ever buying a GM again.

Cards suck, service seems to be worse. When we notified the dealership we bought it from that we are buying out our lease for a Jetta, the Sales Manager says let me call you back, and we will put together something nice for you. Well, don't think there is a GM equal to the Jetta, and this talk was a week ago. Think we heard back from her? NOPERS

The Jetta is a unerglorified Audi A4, which is a fine, fine automobile. As far as the reliability, VW (as a whole) has gotten better over the past year or so, they got in a bit of a slump there and are really just now starting to shake it off. It started with the A8/Phaeton a few years back and has since filtered down with the freshenings and redesigns of the lesser models.

Although I don't know anyone with the new Jetta, I know a few folks who have other Vee-Dubs and they love them, nice features, nice options, good materials, good feel to them as well, just gotta watch out for thsoe repair costs...ouch.

My aunt recently sold her New Beetle for an HHR, we'll see how well that works out....

Cool, yes and aware of one drawback which is maintenance after the warranty, and basic upkeep. It seems VW has done a better job with the newer models, and the 2.5 luxury package looks awesome with the upgraded front end.

I'll try to post a pic when we get it next week. We bough the platinum grey, was debating about the black, but vowed to never buy one again. That's why I bought the Fire Red Metallic with my 2005 Trac

i biggest downfall of any audi/volkswagen will be the electrical system, my family has owened 3 in total... all lemons. My best friend had an 03 jetta and had over $18,000 worth of warranty repair receipts b4 he let it go( thank goodness it didnt cost him a cent). I hope that you end up with a good one though.

Dallas

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you take your chance no matter what car you buy. I have heard that older model Jettas have had various problems, but I would think the same can go for any car.

With the 2006 being redesigned it is my hope that any problems are behind the car. Time will tell though...

I know a relative was involved with the design of the suspension. VW didn't undercut this model like previous models. I forget if its the drive by wire technology or not but very good handling car. Older model Jetta's had so many problems. A former neighbor used to break serp. belts every year.

I used to have a '94 jetta, no problems at all with the car, and also owned a couple other VWs, IMHO you could get a lemon out of any make/year. It has happened with STs, right?

I have a 2000 Jetta with 178K milkes on it, never had one problem...until now. But that isn't bad. I am leaking Tranny fluid from a seal on the right side output shaft. It is up on jack stands ready to get fixed this weekend.

But with 178K miles, never done a thing wrong, I am not going to complain.

On the Audi A4......they are a close brother to the Jetta, but as an owner of an A6, a Jetta, and an ST, they are not near the same......Audi puts a little extra somthin' into theirs.

AH, Jettas. I had an 89 (gas) that I sold with 270,000 km's on it and it was still running strong. (That was when I got my first ST). I just had some minor repairs in it's last year like the starter went out and the fuel pump needed to be replaced. Both easy to do yourself jobs. My dad has a diesel 90 Jetta, it has 420,000 km's on it and is running strong.

Loved my 02 Grand AM GT, you never know though.. We got my girlfriend/fiancee a Passat after she had a Jetta and they were/are fine.. The biggest plus is her Passat has like 8 airbags and is a bit bigger.

JM

The Luxury Package that we bought has the standard dual front and side airbags, along with the side curtain bags as well. They have vastly improved the space inside and out, and the VW's have been one of the highest rated cars on the road for safety.

Great comments by all

Gavin, wrong way around, the ST has a Jetta grill and the Jetta has the Touareg grill. I am pretty sure that teh Touareg was out before the ST concept, so therefore I saw the ST has the Jetta Grill.

Latest posts