2004 Sport Trac VSS Wire????

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Hayden

Reaction score
OMG i have searched high and low for the bk/gy wire everyone talks about and it doesnt exist. I have looked behind the deck, behind the gauges, under the hood by abs and nothing. They must have changed the color or something. Does anyone know what color and where to find in a 04 Sport Trac? Im trying to install a navi and all i have left to do is the VSS and reverse. If someone could help me out it would be great. If not im gonna call some dealerships tomorrow and hopefully they can help me out. Thanks....email [email protected]

I'm having a Pioneer AVIC N2 system installed tomorrow in my 04. Tell me what you need exactly and I will ask them. Gary D. in CT

Oh your awesome. I need to know where to find the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) and where to find the Reverse Light Wire...im sure I can find the reverse but I have looked high and low for the damn VSS and I think they must have changed colors or something. If you could find out the wire color and where they tapped into it I would really really appreciate it. Thanks so much....a picture would be great to but not neccesary mainly just the color and location. Thanks again

Here's an old post. Luckily, I didn't have to mess with it. I finally found a Ford dealer in KY that would correct my VSS signal with their programmer. Good hunting.

it should be behind the deck or at PCM but it should be a gray/black wire.

Last edited by a moderator:
PCM?....and that walkthrough doesnt match my truck. I found the ABS module between the battery just like in the photo but its a different plug. There is a thick black and a thin black wire....didnt want to just start hackin into n e thing before i knew it was right...also there are three rows pins lined up straight...the one in the picture doesnt look like mine. Which scared me...let me know if u have done it to an 04' because from what i have seen they are different in a few ways.....or maybe im dumb:D

Mark, what are the specifics of your ST: 2/4 wheel drive, XLT/XLS, factory radio (type of connections)? I have access to AllData info.

Its a 2004 Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4 wheel drive the factory radio was the pioneer 6 Disc In Dash...small overhead console with the sun roof.

Alright gary says it is located at Pin 68 at the PCM Computer...its a gray wire with black tracer.....where is the pcm computer? Is that the plug under the steering wheel for diagnostics?...as soon as i find that out i will go install and take pics to help everyone out

Success found the blakc/gry and found the reverse...gonna clean up the install take pictures and I will put the pics and stuff up on here under a job...gimme like an hour

Sirmark - did you find a reverse lamp wire somewhere other than the rear light? I am hoping that I can find it in the rocker panel, hopefully on the passenger side next to the hideaway for my AVIC.

Latest posts