2003 Trac Misfiring at idle

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshua Lowe

Reaction score
I have a 2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac that is misfiring only at idle. And it doesn't do it all the time. When it does misfire, the rpm's are about 5-600. If I rev it 1200 rpm or more it's fine. The truck has recently been serviced (oil changed, Air/fuel filters & plugs) and I checked to make sure that plugs and engine oil were what they require (motorcraft/5w-30). Can anyone help or suggest I might do to solve this?

Did they change the plug wires? Wetherr they did or not. Could have one not on good. Or they cracked a plug.

Just had mine changed today Plugs and wires and mechanic discovered top of plug was cracked inside Cap and my vehicle could do 75MPH on highway & appeared to idle ok. But every now & then I would get a warbled idle and when I press down on peddle at 2000 rpms I could tell there was misfire... Mechanic sowed me where plug had been cracked inside boot for some time. Entire top piece of electrode was gone & carbon filled top part of the boot. Mine was plug #4 one of the PITA plugs on the passenger side..javascript:insertAtCursor(document.forms['MESSAGEFORM'].MESSAGE,':bwahaha:')