2003 Sport Trac XLT "naughty" Audio/Video Install

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Kowtko

Reaction score
So, I love to do custom AV installs in cars but as of late, I've had no time for such an adventure. Two weeks ago, I solicited Car Toys to install a system in my Sport Trac and I have to say, it's quite incredible. The only functionality I lost was storage behind the back seat (not like there's much there anyway) and lowering of the 60% seat (had to cram the subwoofer under it). All that aside, the system is grand... Just some details in case someone is interested in embarking on something similar...

First, I had the truck soundproofed from top to bottom. I didn't want the road noise anyway and it helps to contain the bass.

Next, just to keep things safe, I had a FULL alarm system installed. I won't divulge the brand but I will say that it is fully featured to include remote starts (nice in the cold pacific northwest winters).

For a head unit I chose the Alpine IVA-W200. This unit supports XM Radio, iPod, Nav, DVD Playback, and a whole host of other features. The unit didn't fit to well in the dash so the installer at Car Toys pulled the bezel out and customized it. Some Bondo, paint, and a few nights of work and the dash looks like nothing was ever done.

For front speakers, I picked top of the line, hardly beatable Focal 165 K2Ps. These very incredible speakers didn't fit so well so the installer had to bump the speakers up (inward) and push the window rails out. The speakers are component so the 6 1/2 inch drivers were mounted in a custom plate and installed once the room was made and then the tweeters were mounted on the flat spots near the top front of the door panels.

For rear speakers, I picked nearly top of the line Focal 165V2s. These fit a little better in the back doors. They were also component speakers so likewise, they were mounted on a custom plate and pushed forward in the door to fit. The tweeters were mounted just above the speaker grill (kind of low to prevent TOO much bright sound in the truck).

For a subwoofer, I chose the JL Audio 10W3V2-D4 which is a 10" subwoofer mounted in a ProBox custom enclosure made to specifically fit under the passenger side rear seat. This is a downfiring enclosure with about 2" of space between the woofer and the floor.

For a subwoofer amplifier I picked the JL Audio 250/1. This is a 250 Watt RMS amplifier with new RIP technology which enables it to provide 250 Watts regardless of input power or speaker impedence.

For a 4 channel amplifier I picked the JL Audio 450/4. This is 150 Watts x 2 to the front and 75 Watts x 2 to the rear with the same power story as the 250/1.

To "cap" it all off, I picked a Street Wires 1 Farad Capacitor. This helps my battery not croak on those demanding bass notes!

The amplifiers and the cap are mounted behind the rear seat. Power is provided by a small 2 AWG cable :lol: running to the rear and 4 AWG wire from there to each amplifier.

I'll just say that this system is very incredible. With the exception of being challenged for bass because there isn't much space to put an enclosure if you want to keep the back seats, its very awsome.

Just thought I'd share... I know audio is a challenge in the Sport Trac and since I have recently overcome that challenge, I wanted to give my story.

Best Regards,

Joe

PS. Comments are, of course, welcome!

Okay, I know, but I just got it back... I needed to take some "completed" pics. So, here are the "completed" pics I have so far...

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

When I get the in-progress pics off of the other camera, I'll upload those too...

Joe

looks good. I work at the CC roadshop down the street and matt up at CT said they had a ST in so i went and looked at it. They had just started it though.

Can you explain to me what you expect the Tweeter to do for you down that low in the Rear door? Tweeters are directional and need to be up high for you to get full use of them... To have them at your ankle... Its a waste!

The Head unit looks sweet and very clean install.... The Front Doors okay also..

Enjoy the new Sound! A great system and being in the driver seat is always fun! I used to compete with my old truck and love the system I had... Actual miss it...

Cheers

Whit

The rear speakers are really filler and if I would have mounted the tweeters too high, I would have over-brightened the sound up high. Ideally, I maybe could have gone with the coaxial and directed the tweeters. And, you can direct these tweeters in their bodies and they are directed slightly upward.

Trust me, it sounds incredible both in front and back... and the tweeters more than overcome their verticle challenge in the rear; it was a design that I directed. The 165V2s were a better choice over the 165 coaxials for mid-bass. I chose the better mid-bass speakers because I didn't want to challenge the single sub with ANY mid-bass.

Joe

Can you explain to me what you expect the Tweeter to do for you down that low in the Rear door? Tweeters are directional and need to be up high for you to get full use of them... To have them at your ankle... Its a waste!

Your half right.. they are directional but don't need to be up high to be setup correctly. They just need to be aimed correctly. (from the picture though that don't look like it's the case either)

But as long as Joe is happy that is all that really matters.

Very True.... I would have used a All in one Speaker in the Rear door if you are trying to create a full sound for the people in the back seats.... If not that why bother with anything back there...

As I am never concerned what the people in the back seats hear... Its all about the Driver! Everything is aimed for me and my driving pleasure! haha

Looks great... and enjoy!

Cheers

Whit

I love the tact of some folks here throwing around words like "bullshit", "waste", "worthless".

Jeez, the guy joined to describe a setup. Being a little nicer wouldn't kill ya! :(

Thanks for the writeup and pics, Joe!

eh, I'm all grow'd up now... I have pretty tough skin so that stuff doesn't bother me.

Quite honestly, if anyone here knows ANYTHING about the Focal K2Ps they would know that I probably don't even need tweeters in the back. I even debated going with 6" JL Audio Subs instead... ;)

Regardless, I would challenge anyone in the forum to a clarity contest anyway; I've been in the business for 22 years (which could possibly be longer than some of you have been alive) and have heard, built, and seen a lot... but not a lot that sound cleaner than this. :lol:

I love the banter as long as it's not grossly disrespectful!

Best Regards!

Joe

Hey Joe... the 6" in the rears would be something sweet... and give you a nice Sound Stage...

But like you said it might cause some issue with the one SUB.

But Mid Bass always makes a soundstage sound that much better...

I used to compete in IASCA years ago... and enjoyed some great systems in my Cars. I miss having these systems.. and have toyed with doing a system in my Trac but just can't seem to part with the money... as I know if I start it will get out of hand and cost me well into the Thousands as it did years ago....

Its an addiction and I have been clean and sober of it for 5 years now... But still get the urge to get back into it... I now pour my money into my home system! Which might be stupid since it cost more money than my Truck!

Cheers

Whit