2003 Ford Explorer check engine light blinking, shaking and smells like something burnt

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlos Maya

Reaction score
... I read that is Probably an o2 sensor or/and catalytic converter. Is there anyway i can do i quick fix? until i can take it to my mechanic next week and drive it there. The car feels like it has loss power. Thanks in advance

I wouldn't think a converter would cause a shake, certainly a loss of power at speed but not a shake. I've had one go and it wouldn't go past 45 mph but no shake and no smell. You probably wouldn't even notice an O2 sensor except on gas mileage, CEL would be steady. Are you experiencing a misfire? Any fluids leaking? Could be a few things but I wouldn't suspect O2 or converter to start, my guesses with the info you gave (where I would look) would be plugs/wires/ignition coil, check oil obviously in case you've got none at all, then report back with more details if you find anything out.

Scan for trouble codes FIRST. Write down the number(s) and post.

Last edited by a moderator:
As swshawaii says you need to get an OBD scan tool and see what codes are present. Most auto parts stores will do this for you at no charge. Write down the codes. Please also tell us how many miles on your Trac (update your profile also) and general maintenance history.

As Vic said, most will read codes for free. Dont let them sell you anthing. Post the codes here. We have a world of repair knowledge on this site...Best help site on the Net....:supercool:

First, thank you all for your time.

I took my ST to the auto part and they connected the scan tool, results were: cylinder 4 was misfiring and the rest were having trouble running under low rpm (1000rpm) and it had an air leak, i forgot to get the code numbers :toilet:.

The guy sugested to replace the spark plugs and try to find the leak. I replaced the spark plugs and had no luck, same problem but the "check engine" light disappeared wich is now a nightmare because my ST is now sitting in my mechanic parking lot waiting for the "check engine" light to come on so they can plug in their scan tool and find out exactly what it is :sad:

Mechanic said to drive around like that until check engine light comes on, i say: :cheeky: i don't want to drive like that and cause anymore damage. What else could it be? If one cylinder is not working and the others are having problems under low rpms how about the ignition coil?... Maybe an injector?

My ST is a 2003 premium package with 208.000+ miles :grin: never changed the ignition coil or the injectors, i had use seafoam in the past not to long ago, the truck was working perfectly strong and all of sudden at a stop light without any notice just begun to struggle.

Sugestions please?

Did you not write down the error code when you found out cylinder 4 was misfiring and that you had an air leak? That should give the mechanic enough info to start looking and running test to lock down where the air leak is. It might be a cracked inttake (they are plastic), or simply a split or disconnected hose...It is very common to have a split elbow hose on early ST's.

If your mechanic cannot start looking and testing, he is stalling, and I suggest you take your ST to another shop.

...Rich

You really need to write down the codes to properly diagnose your problems. Otherwise you're just guessing and throwing parts at the car. If you reset the CEL and it comes back, you need to read the codes again; if same code reappears then whatever action you took didn't give you a good fix. From your description of symptoms and age/mileage of your car it sounds like the computer is getting a bad sensor input(s) and is struggling to correct. Your mechanic should be able to show you the codes that will guide the repair.

<Richard>

I'm learning my lesson the hard way. I never had this kind of problem with my ST after almost 13 years, what is very rare is that if i'm having the same problem, why the "check engine" light is not coming on?...

Anyways, i'm picking up my truck and take it to somebody else or find out the problem myself, i am also very dissapointed with my shop too, guess the are so popular now they don't want to to the real mechanic job and find the problem.

<vic>

What is reset the CEL?... And how can i reset it?

A bad sensor input is what a friend said, i'm going to check that out and maybe try some other stuff and see if anything works

p0304 is cylinder #4 misfire, also should have lean codes. (p0171, p0174, or others)

take a close look at the pcv hose elbows. they get super soft and cave in and get holes in them.

CEL is abbreviation for the Check Engine Light that's on the dashboard. After you "read" the codes with the scan tool you can reset, or clear the CEL. By the way, you can purchase a basic scan tool for not a whole lot of money, say $20-30. See Amazon for some choices. On Board Diagnostics (or OBDII) have been mandated since 1996 model year, so it's very handy to have a scan tool of your own. I've opted for one called Blue Driver, which hooks up via Bluetooth to a smart phone or tablet. You can see videos on YouTube of scan tool techniques.

finally after doing some 20+ miles of highway "check engine" is back on and blinking like the first time, codes are: p1000, p0304, p0316

Lloyd was right with code p0304 cylinder 4 misfire. Will take it to my great but lazy mechanic shop tomorrow and see if they can finally get my sweet ST back to normal.

I really apreciate everyone of you for the great help. Will post back with results

... Spark plugs wires!!! :banghead:

learn my lesson, next time: make sure to save the check engine light codes and always replace wires when changing spark plugs

Thanks again!

Latest posts