2002 Sport Trac RIP

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bk10s

Reaction score
Well, I guess all good things must come to an end. I was driving on I-94 yesterday in the middle lane, about 70 mph. It had not started snowing hard yet in Waukesha County, and the roads were just wet at 37 degrees. Next thing you know, I am sideways and hitting the concrete median wall head on. For some reason a woman in the left lane clipped my left rear and sent me into a spin (think pit maneuver). After smashing the wall I bounced off and spun around across all 3 lanes of the interstate. Miraculously, I was not T-Boned by another car or worse, a semi. I was able to drive to the right shoulder. Thank goodness those almost 25 year old airbags worked perfectly. After about 6 hours at the ER, I went home with a fractured patella. Probably from hitting the dash. It could have been so much worse. We were at 250K, and I was hopeful for 300K and beyond with this gem. Thank you to all who have helped me with this rig over the years. RIP
IMG_8120.jpeg

Sorry about your truck, that could have been so much worse,, good luck with the knee..

Glad to hear you are alive and kicking. Sport Trac did it's job of keeping you safe. Hopefully the lady that clipped you has valid insurance.

Collectively we are all glad you’re safe, and will recover with the knee injury. I work in trauma services at UH in Cleveland, Oh., and I know those type of injuries can hurt. Also, know your not alone in mourning of your 2002 Trac (I also have a 2002 with about 318k). But most importantly, glad ur ok!

Well, I guess all good things must come to an end. I was driving on I-94 yesterday in the middle lane, about 70 mph. It had not started snowing hard yet in Waukesha County, and the roads were just wet at 37 degrees. Next thing you know, I am sideways and hitting the concrete median wall head on. For some reason a woman in the left lane clipped my left rear and sent me into a spin (think pit maneuver). After smashing the wall I bounced off and spun around across all 3 lanes of the interstate. Miraculously, I was not T-Boned by another car or worse, a semi. I was able to drive to the right shoulder. Thank goodness those almost 25 year old airbags worked perfectly. After about 6 hours at the ER, I went home with a fractured patella. Probably from hitting the dash. It could have been so much worse. We were at 250K, and I was hopeful for 300K and beyond with this gem. Thank you to all who have helped me with this rig over the years. RIPView attachment 4788
Glad to hear you are basically ok - are you thinking of picking up another sport trac or are going to move on?

The woman that hit you was probably on her phone, and not paying attention to what she was doing. Glad your injuries aren't any worse.

NICE looking 2020 !!!

Oh, and by the way.....The woman that hit me had no registration and no insurance. They winched her car out of the ditch and she had them take it to the Kwik Trip where she paid them, they unloaded it, and she was on her way. Maybe to hit someone else??? When I was at the tow lot yesterday, the tow driver told me he could not believe that she was driving the car because the tires were so bald. Go figure. Here are a couple more pictures from the tow lot.

1705072636080.png

1705072678546.png

1705072738705.png

Yep, glad you're okay & on the mend !
Sad ending for a well maintained previously good looking vehicle.
Lots of crazy drivers out there;
irresponsible idiots going thru life leaving a trail of destruction.

Last edited:
I have new rear brake shoes, drums, and hardware sitting in the garage that I was going to put on this 2002. Anyone want that stuff? Useless to me now.....Grrrrr......

@DILLARD000, thank you so much for all of your expertise. You advised on many projects with this truck.

I have new rear brake shoes, drums, and hardware sitting in the garage that I was going to put on this 2002. Anyone want that stuff? Useless to me now.....Grrrrr......

@DILLARD000, thank you so much for all of your expertise. You advised on many projects with this truck.

So sorry to hear about the accident, but holy cow am I relieved to know those old air bags will still do their job.

I don't suppose there's any chance of parting out the interior of your vehicle?

Your doors, side cladding, and tailgate look brand new. There must be someone out there who could use them.

I’ve got a 2002 also, although right now I’m fighting an ignition tumbler/actuator/switch problem (which I posted a query about on our forum yesterday), once I get that figured out…which I will at some point….Id be interested in that rear brake hardware!

I'll probably just turn it over to the tow lot to let them get rid of it. That is what my insurance company recommended. I put new tires on last summer!

Glad you're still in one piece, that's all that really matters. Tough to say goodbye to a faithful ride/friend though.
Been there, done that, it sucks.

If you really want an ST, I know of someone that was selling a 2010 ST Adrenalin out of his collection last year, don't know if he sold it yet. I wanted it, but just couldn't stomach the 35k (CAD) asking price. It had 18k (kms) on it. Never seen rain or snow, heated indoor storage it's whole life. It was one of about 30 vehicles in his collection......Not the life I, or most of us live.

I could really use some parts for a 2002 sport trac! She was my first car(love) as a teenager and over 20 years later I refuse to let her die. Are any parts still available? I’ve got a long list of small odds and ends I need, from big things like a tailgate to small things like a backseat door handle.

Unfortunately, I just got rid of the rear brakes and hardware Sunday. I do still have the bed extender.
I could really use some parts for a 2002 sport trac! She was my first car(love) as a teenager and over 20 years later I refuse to let her die. Are any parts still available? I’ve got a long list of small odds and ends I need, from big things like a tailgate to small things like a backseat door handle.

Unfortunately, I just got rid of the rear brakes and hardware Sunday. I do still have the bed extender.
Man, if nobody claims that bed extender, I could probably figure out a way to pick it up. I'd have to take the ferry from Muskegon, but I think it is doable.

Latest posts