2002 console repair

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Al Cisne

Reaction score
My 129K mile 2002 has the console with the bag and the arm rest broke. Is there an aftermarket fix or do I have to get the large assembly form the dealer? BTW, it is a 5-speed manual with the floor shifter, which I hear are seldom seen.

TIA for the answer.

Glad I found the forum!

:welcome:

Two very strong aftermarket metal brackets are available.

RockAuto replacement deletes the cup holders. Price around.

Here's RockAuto's replacement bracket link:

Last edited by a moderator:
I took the armrest apart on mine, pulled out the already broken backseat cupholder, and disassembled the whole thing as much as I could. Then I just sat and looked at it for a bit, thinking about what I could do with it. Then I had a wild idea to try a couple of pieces of 1x4 in there, and they fit after a bit of cutting to length. A couple of toilet tank bolts at the very back for strength, then screws everywhere else to put it back together. The plastic under the foam padding was also broken in mine, so the center sagged a bit where you arm usually sits, so I padded it back up with old phone book pages. I thought it was a little stupid to use wood and paper, but it works, so it's not stupid to me.

Thanks, but part 1530400 says it is for '99-01s and mine is a '02. From the picture, it looks different, unless that it the reason it deletes the rear cup holders.

The second link is dead.

IIRC, all the Gen 1 (2001-05) ST's are identical. I used that bracket on my '05.

The RockAuto model deletes the cup holders. I can measure if you'd like.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! I see how it fixes it! Those rear cup holder only make a mess anyways and won't hold anything that has any liquid in it.

What were the Ford designers thinking with that carry bag and flimsy armrest? :banghead:

swshawaii said:
What were the Ford designers thinking with that carry bag and flimsy armrest?

At the first and second national meets, I asked them that question several times about different issues with the ST. "They are the design team, they know what they are doing."

My response would probably have been "apparently not in this case. Didn't they fire the entire Thunderbird design team when the car turned out 1000 lbs heavier than intended?"