2001 ST gen 2 Auto Trans ID Tag location

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Edwards

Reaction score
My Automatic Transmission is slipping in reverse, O/D light blinked for a while, then stopped blinking. Need rebuilt trans and am in the US Virgin Islands so I will need to order a rebuilt one and have it shipped down. Where is the ID Tag for the transmission? Can I see it without pulling the trans out of the car. I can still drive in forward gears just fine so would like to keep driving until replacement comes in. Appreciate any help and have used this site for info for a couple of years, bought the ST two years ago - cheap - with a blown engine. Had one from a junk yard in Florida shipped in with only 21,000 miles on it so I can afford another tranny. Not many reliable mechanics here to rebuild it on island. My build date is 08/00.

Found a place in Florida that will sell me a rebuilt trans for $1,250 but they need to know if it is a 1L5P-DA or a XL5P-DA.

Thanks,

David

David- Check the mfg. decal on the rear edge of the drivers door. (Below the lock latch)

Transmission Code should be under the "TR", below the bar code. Mine shows "D". (5R55E)

Info should be available on line. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found the transmission tag, Drivers side rear of transmission, bottom bolt. I have a 1L5P-EA tranny, a subcategory of the 5R55E series.

Apparently they made two versions of the 5R55E, a 1L5P-EA and a XL2P-DA, and from what I have found out so far they are not interchangeable.

Anyone with any more info on this? Are they interchangeable?

Latest posts