2001 Sport Trac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The tires on my '01 ST are 235/75/R15. They "look" too small for the wheel well and I want to go to a tire that is bigger without changing out the 15 inch wheels. I have talked to a couple of tire shops and they make it sound like a bad idea. Can I go to a bigger tire on the same wheels and if so, what are the possible sizes?

I appreciate the help :banghead:

if the stock tire size is the 235 more than likly you have the 3.73 gear set in your axles i wouldnt go much over a 31 10.5 15 without killing your gas mileage, but you could go with a 30 9.5 15... that is an equivilant of the stock size that was on my st

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Your stock wheels are 16"

Putting oversized tires on will have some negative effects mileage, power, handling, and suspension life. Depending on the size these changes can be significant. You can compensate for some with gear ratios but this will be kinda expensive most especially if you have 4WD.

Truck looks great AS-IS but everyone has their own opinion.

I am aware that mine are 16 and hers are 15, that's why I gave equivelants of tire sizes. Going to a 30 inch tire wont hurt too bad since its only a 2inch increase.... when I went from the 30 to the 32 my gas mileage never changed but when I went from 32 to 35 it dropped significantly but that was expected

look at the tire manufacturer's site and look up the tire. It'll tell you which rims the tire will fit... tracs use 7 inch rims... I went from 235's to 265's with a ittle rub in the rear, but made the wheelwells full . see my library for pics. I run LT245's now, which look better, too.

As for mileage, the effects listed above are mostly from speedometer errors, not the added torque needed to move the truck, although it does affect it a little. My trac with 235's on it, the speedo read 2-1/2 mph fast. with the 265's it was right on.

Bec you can fit 31X10.5/15 on your stock wheels. I did on mine with only rubbing on the sway bar at full lock. Your 235 are about 29" tall.

Your stock wheels are 16"

TIRES: No./Type (4x2) Five/Steel-Belted Radial All -Season

Size P235/75Rx15SL OWL All-Season

Spare Tire Carrier Rear Under Frame, Crank Up Type and road size spare

No./Type (4x4) Five/Steel-Belted Radial All -Terrain

Size P235/75Rx15SL OWL A/T

Spare Tire Carrier Rear Under Frame, Crank Up Type and road size spare

WHEELS: No./Type Four/Deep Dish Cast

Aluminum 15 x 7.0J.

(W/15x6.0J Steel

spare wheel

235's

[Broken External Image]:

265's

[Broken External Image]:

245's

[Broken External Image]:

I agree with Travis. A 31 9.5 15 is about the same size as the stock 255/70/16s on later STs. Those also came with 3.73 gears so you will still be similar to stock.

I rocked 3 sets of 31X10.5-15 on my stock wheels with the 3.73 rear in my 01 job 1. I can still spin them at a dead stop if I want. I know have 15X8 black steel wheels and a TT lift.

Wish my red truck still looked that good. Looks more like the last pic. VT winters are taking a toll. I took the plastic rocker covers off this summer coated the area under them with heavy under coat. I have one bad place that will be a hole soon.

The plastic trim around the bed is also rubbing paint off. No issue on the side but the tailgate is metal and I have a spot developing there.

Latest posts