2001 Part Questions

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay White

Reaction score
My coolant/windshield wiper reservoir has a leak in it. I believe the plastic has become brittle with age. Is this repairable? I have seen numerous replacement versions available on Ebay but not certain if the model numbers will fit my year. Are there other Ford vehicles that have a reservoir that will work?

Also, the trim molding around the bottom of my driver seat, on the door side, needs to be replaced. One of the mounting points (one of two) has broken off so it just hangs by the remaining point. Are there any other vehicles that have a similar molding that I could possibly pickup in a salvage yard?

Thanks for any and all suggestions and help!

I had a similar problem on the Taurus my wife used to have. I got one used from a junkyard and it wasn't much better and cracked in short order. I ended up just getting a new one from the Ford dealer.

Both reservoirs have leaks?

You can try to repair it, but I suspect that the repair will be the strongest part. It may depend on how the leak developed. If due to being struck, then the repair might work; if due to material failure, it'll probably continue to degrade. I'd not pay a lot for this part used (~30.00-$40.00) because they are all pretty old; some are in better shape than others, however.

I have the same situation with my seat trim. Seems that they get beat-up by sliding off the seat. I could not find a replacement, but attached it with the rear and front screws; seems to be holding.

Maybe try Plastic Welder (cream color) to reattach the trim mount tabs by building material around the base and then trim and shape as necessary. Or make new tabs from sheet metal or spring steel and either rivet or nut and bolt them on to the trim piece (stainless button head bolts will have a nice finish).

"Both reservoirs have leaks?"

Aren't they made as a single piece? Actually the coolant reservoir is the part that's leaking. The windshield washer fluid side is fine (so far!) Thanks for the replies.

For the reservoir definitely go with a new part. On the seat trim, I had to replace mine as well. Try our site sponsor, fastpartsnetwork.com. That is where I got my trim piece from.

Latest posts