2 wheel & 4 wheel light

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas Hallum

Reaction score
Went to back my 02 ST out of the garage. Have had it a bout 2 months. Snow in the drive way and cold , cold, cold. First time to put in 4 wheel drive . When I turn the 4 wheel drive switch on both the 4 wheel drive and the 2 wheel low drive dash lights came on.Back stright out ,got what I needed in the garage and drove stright back in . Worked the switch back and forth and both light stayed on. Turned the truck off and today I started it after fives days( Had to leave town) One light was on (4wd). I belive the ST was in 4WD even thought both lights were on. Is this common for the ST in real cold weather.

thomas

No, it's not common...

I believe what you are seeing is the 4HIGH and 4LOW lights.

1st of all, the most common trouble is that to get it into and out of 4LOW, you must be stopped, have it in Neutral, and your foot on the brake. Without doing ALL of these things, it will not go into or out of 4LOW. 4HIGH can be turned on or off "on the fly"(within reason).

It is possible to leave it in 4x4 mode when you shut it off, and it will still be in that mode when you next start it.

Hope this helps a little....

The 2 most common problems (1st Generation ST) are the Module, located in the passenger kick panel, and the Shift motor, located on the Transfer case.

If you hear a series of clicks coming from the passenger kick panel, that is from the module. When mine did this, I replaced the module, and it worked for a few days, then went back to the same issue. I then replaced the shift motor and it worked for a year and a half without issue. Now it is back to being intermittent. I can turn it on and off a few times and it will engage. I think the module is the most common issue.

I am trying to remeber to turn it on at least once a week even when its dry out to keep it working freely. (Just driving in a straight line for a block or two)

Good Luck

Latest posts