2-3 Flair Repair (little long)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay White

Reaction score
Well, I believe I recently experienced the 2-3 flair. :( It wouldn't do it all the time and it was very brief when it did it but it was a definate pause between shifts. No codes at all. I did my research on here and the net. Since I believed that I had caught it early, I started calling the local transmission shops. One shop said that it would cost $1200-1500 to rebuild it. I explained what was going on and they said nothing about repairing it. I called another shop and they said they were familiar with the problem and they recommended a rebuilt valve body with all the updates included for a cost of $450. I then called the guys that have been doing all my families work for the the past 5 or so years and he said that it was most likely a blown gasket and it should cost about $250 to repair it.

After much thought, I took it to my local guy and let him have it. Picked it up the next morning and they said that they removed the valve body and discovered a blown gasket and a bad seperator plate. They checked everything else out and couldn't find anything else wrong. One of the partners wanted to put a valve body any it but the other partner talked him out of it. They went on to tell me that this repair only works for about one out of a hundred vehicles that have this problem. I guess I was the lucky one. Total cost for repair was $239! :D If I had needed a valve body the cost would have been a little over $400. The Trac shifts smoothly (so far!) Will keep you posted if anything goes wrong.

So to make a long story short; If you start experiencing the 2-3 flair, get it worked on immediately. The repairs could actually be rather inexpensive if you get lucky. The longer you put it off, the more damage could be done. And the more damage equals a higher repair bill.

PS. This is on a 2001 Job 2 Trac with a little over 75K miles.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts