1997 Explorer question??

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalton Hill

Reaction score
well my buddy has a 1997 Ford Explorer and his oil presser gauge is going form high to low as he is driving and the check engine light is on. But there is oil in the Explorer and it is not leaking, so what could be the problem? i will post more when i get to actually look at it. but any help would be great.

Ok, the oil presser gauge is going CRAZY, it is moving so fast at times that it almost seems like it is staying still. the car is making this loud ticking noise, but not like a knocking sound. any ideas???

he did drive it some and he said it is driving like it always has. all except for the ticking. so i have no idea. hopefully you guys can suggest something.

and one more thing the only dash light that is on is the check gauge light, and the only time it is on is for like a second or two as the oil presser gauge goes all the way to low and then springs back to the normal or high. the check engine light never came back on after he turned the engine off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Either a faulty oil pump, faulty sending unit, or faulty guage.

Either install an aftermarket gage or figure out if the sending unit or dash guage is bad.

If neither of those are bad, then you are possibly looking at a bad oil pump. Another thought could be a clogged oil filter, but I may be streaching a little on that one. I am not sure if an oil filter could cause that issue.

Tom

Being that you have a fluctuating oil pressure gauge and a loud ticking noise would make it seem that you are losing oil pressure. The loud ticking is probably a result of all the lifters going flat due to lack of oil pressure.

Its not a gauge- isn't it just a fake gauge idiot light?

My 92 Ranger had one of those Ford- Better Ideas POS.

I'll bet the gauge is faulty or the resistor is flakey.

Put a real gauge on the engine and see what the oil pressure really is. I'll bet it is fine.

Latest posts