17" offroad tires for 2nd Gen ST?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJ

Reaction score
Hi all - Wanting to replace the Fortera tires on my 2008 ST with something more tough & manly ... any ideas for 17" rims?

Thanks in advance! :driving:

Here's a picture I found awhile back, thought it looked awesome with the Torque Thrust II's and BFG's on a 2nd Gen and it takes alot for me to really look at a 2nd Gen ST and think it looks like a truck and not a SUT.

[Broken External Image]:

I have these same rims on my Show Truck and was thinking about mounting on my ST but I'd have to sell my 1.5" spacers and get 5x4.5" to 5x4.75" adapters since the rims are on a GMC 2wd. They are 17x8"s, I think they look sweet.

:driving::haveabeer::supercool::banana:

Thanks all - I really like the BFG Rugged Trail T/A tires ... though when I plugged in my MY/Make/Model on the BFG website, it said:

"2007-2010-Manufacturer requires replacement tires are of the same exact size, type, load capacity, and tread design (i.e. All Terrain) as originally offered by manufacturer. Do not use high performance or larger size tires.

For vehicles equipped with P245/65R17 size only, these are acceptable P245/65R17 All Season replacement tires:

BFGoodrich Long Trail T/A Tour 105T 32131

If any uncertainties arise, consult manufacturer for the most current replacement options."

Would I need special spacers or something to make the P245/65R17 Rugged Trail T/A's to make them compatible?

The Gen2 ST has a pretty sophisticated stability control system (ditto for the 4x4 transfer case) that's tuned for a certain tire size. I wouldn't risk upsetting that balance just for looks. I've never used spacers/adapters; I think of them as a last resort. Better to buy new rims, IMHO.

IME finding reasonably priced forged alloy rims with the correct dimensions is like finding a needle in a haystack. That makes the factory rims look mighty attractive to me. My Limited came with 18" 235 tires.

I have had BFG All-Terrain T/As in 265/65/18 on my 07 4x4 Limited Trac since new. As a matter of fact they were installed on the factory rims by the Ford dealer before I took delivery of the truck in Jan 2007. The ST now has 48,658 miles on it and those same tires are still showing about 8/32 tread depth. The only other mod to make this work was to use an Xcal II to correct the speedometer for the larger tire diameter. There have been no issues with the vehicle electronics other than the typical TSB to correct transmission shifting issues which were totally unrelated to the tires. Many other owners on this site have had the same issue and most if not all of those owners have the original tires or replacements in the stock size. I use my truck off-road when hunting and I am sure it is much more capable with these tires than it would be with the OEM Michelin 235/65 all season tires. The AWD and 4x4 transfer case settings function exactly as designed.

Latest posts