15" wheels

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh mcleod

Reaction score
My 05 has the 16" wheels but I want 15". I know the 01 had 15" so 15" should fit my 05 right?

Here's the setup in looking at:

33x12.5 GY Duratracs

Mickey metal series

15x10 -44os 3-3/4bs

Here's what I have:

285/75/16 BFG AT

3" BL, 1.5/2.0 TT SS

1.25/1.5 spacers

Just wondering if that setup would work. Wanna go with the 15" wheels with 33" tires because it's cheaper, light and just plain sweet! I've looked at some of the tire/wheel size websites and I think it will work. My brain starts to hurt after awhile trying to figure this out.

you have to be careful because not all 15 inch wheels will work... i used procomp 98 series steel wheels with a 3.75" BS and they cleared the calipers and jerry used cragar soft 8 steel wheels and they worked as well... however not all steel wheels will clear the calipers and i dont think any aluminum wheels will because they are made thicker than steel because aluminum isnt as strong so just keep that in mind... its basically a trial and error thing, the wheels you are looking at are very simmilar to the procomp 98 and cragar soft 8 so they may work... but the best you can do it get one and see if it fits

I'll have a look at the procomps and cragar soft 8's. What kind of back space did you go with, and is there any rubbing? My 285's rub is very minor at full lock. I'm just careful in the trails. Hopefully Jerry will chime in and point me in the right direction....as usual lol

I should just bite the bullet and get the superlift! If I had the know-how to do a SAS I'd do that instead. Fabrication isn't my forte. :boohoo:

I have 15x8 Cragar soft 8's with 4" backspacing. You can't put the stick on weights on the inside of the wheels, they won't clear the calipers. I used led bead weights on the inside bead, most places use steel weights now but you need more and they don't stay on as good because they don't conform to the bead curve as well as the old led weights. You're pretty much following my Trac's build step by step, lol. Except I had 1.5" spacers all around. As for b.s. you wanna stay around 3.75-4" if you go 8-10" wide, 8's are better because the tire will stay on the bead tighter, especially when you airdown. I went to www.treaddepot.com and they had the lowest prices anywhere for the DuraTrac's, then I went to a GoodYear dealer, told them the price I found and they beat it by $13 a tire. $159 to 146, oh yeah. :haveabeer:

I'd rather go with the 15x8 but the Duratracs need a minimum 15x8.5 wheel. The whole bead weight thing kinda sucks but it's only gonna be my winter setup. I wonder if it's possible to mount the sticky weights closer to the edge to miss the caliper, maybe on a 10" wheel? I guess it depends on how much weight it needs. I've read alot of people have trouble balancing the Duratracs.

Everyone I kow that has 33x12.50x15 Duratrac's all have the same wheels as I do and none of us have ever had any issues with them. Most Jeepers, Yota's, etc... that run this size tire have never had any issues. Just saying, the tire and wheel specs are determined by cooperate guys that don't have a truck unless it's a street queen Mercedes SUV.

:bwahaha:

So basically your saying you got 15x8 wheels? How do you like the 33x12.5 compared to the 285/75/16?. With the 285's I get a lil rubbin but nothing major.

I like them alot better then the 285's. An inch wider and an inch taller then the 285's. The DuraTrac's are a whole different tire then the BFG T/A K/O that I had on it.

"an inch wider and an inch taller than the 285's"

I thought the 285/75/16 bfg and the 33x12.5x15 were the same diameter 32.8. At least according to their respective websites. Am I missing something?

Jerry, i'm surprised you haven't posted a picture of your Trac. The Jerry I know would've jumped at this opportunity to display one of the better looking Tracs on this site! I think I am starting to forget what it looks like.:banana::banana:

Carlos... :bwahaha:

Here ya go buddy...

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a neat tire rack on your blazer....I mean Sport Trac lol. But seriously it looks good! I liked the roof basket you had and the roll bar (but not the chrome). What happened to them?

Yeah, the bumper weighs a couple pounds. I need to finish building my tube skid plate and the bumper, it's been too hot this summer to wanna go weld outside though. The Yakima MegaWarrior basket was sold to another member down in Alabama. The Tal & Hadas rear sport bar was sold to a member up in Ohio but I just bought it back from him, it's for sale if you're interested but I'm not too keen on the idea of shipping it since its discontinued and there's only five of them in North America.

Latest posts