14.00 @ 99.35

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joe, you would know the answer to my stupid question. Are we able to Dyno our AWD trucks on a 2WD dyno, or does it have to be a 4WD dyno? I was assuming 4WD, but a friend doesn't think so... I'd like to get a baseline pull before I do any work and there's a big difference in the drive to the nearest 4WD shop from my home.

EDIT: I answered my own question looking at your profile... I knew my pal was wrong.. :smack:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction times do not effect your ET. This is a common misconception. The light could turn green and you could sit there for 2 full minutes and your ET would not be shown as 2.14XXX. Your reaction time on the slip would be shown as 2 min. The ET starts when your truck moves after the light turns green. Reaction time is the time measured from when the light turns green till your truck moves, once your truck moves elapsed time measurement starts.

Good times, drag racing can be addictive

Thanks for folks for the kind comments.

If we get another reasonably cool Wednesday up here near Albany, I will give it a try again hopefully sooner rather than later.

I'd like to have a chance of getting to into that "next second" range down in style, so if anyone has any thoughts on the following I'd be much appreciative:

1) Losing the spare tire? (I'm pretty sure on this one)

2) Keep the Adrenalin wheels\tires 275/45/20's versus go with my stock 17" wheels\tires? The 20" GY's on there now have a slightly wider footprint I believe, though I have notes somewhere that the 20" are 8lbs heaver each than the 17's.

3) Go with 1/4 tank of fuel (or less) instead of the 3/4 tank I ran with? A guy at work said water is about 7 lbs. of weight per gallon. If close, taking away 10 gallons of fuel is another 70 lbs of weight.

4) Tonneau cover on or off? That sucker is heavy, having taken it on and off the truck enough. Not sure on its weight. If off is ok, tailgate will definitely be up (check Mythbusters if you think the tailgate should be down.)

5) Tire pressure? I was at about 35 warm for the two runs. I don't want to make the truck 'seem' any heavier than it is by taking out too much air just for 'maybe' a better launch.

And to qualify all of the above, if the consensus is that modifying any item above isn't keeping with some unwritten premise, I will consider leaving well enough alone. I'm hoping that less fuel in the tank and spare tire off is fair game. In theory I only have to drop .006 from my last run to hit 13.99, and that is pretty much my only goal for giving it one more try. If my options are open, it will be a greater help and hopefully a better result.

Glad you guys are along for the ride. Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom. Maybe I need a MySportTrac decal for the back window for some forum advertising at the track for next time? :supercool:

What is the total weight of the 20" Adrenalin Rim?

I've been wanting to know that forever lol.

I'd say, do the 17s, remove the cover, run 1/4 tank

You have auto 4wd so I don't think that the amount of air in the tire is going to be a big deal for you to hook. Having driven your truck, It has monster low end versus top end performance in my opinion. I'd increase your air pressue. That will reduce your contact patch and reduce friction and drag on the top end a small amount.

A lot of Lightning guys run super light forged wheels with drag radials on them. It drops their 1/4 a pretty shocking amount. Check out www.lightningrodder.com. I've learned alot about launching and driving a supercharged automatic on that site.

"thanks gary. please know that your spirited comments a while back helped to motivate me to know I atleast had to make the attempt, regardless of the outcome. i'm glad i did. "

joe, if i remember i was a little "dicky" with my comments. the reason for this was i was tired of some stating they did work and they should be running whatever.

imo, the only way to see is if you take it to the track and have some fun regardless of the outcome.

well you took all the time and money to do the upgrades and now you have alot to brag about. you also had a day/night of fun.

todd, bob c and myself went last fall and had a blast. i try to go at least once a year as it is cool to see what other vehicles do. (like those srt-8 grand cherokees :grin:)

[Broken External Image]:

good luck on future trips and nice runs

ok if you were running the .500 light and you ran a .438 means you red lighted. these were practice runs cause i dont see any dial in times. the red light should have lit up.. sorry paul

Not a problem Paul. If it helps, Wednesday night they mix bracket racing with us Test and Tune (fun run guys). Looking back at the way the time slip is structured I now see what you were looking at. When they do the test and tune line, yep, the tree number and dial-in are turned off for our runs. I don't think I entirely get the whole bracket, dial-in concept completely. But that's ok.

Definitely fun to watch others run what they brought. The guys on the bikes are insanely fast...low 10's and well over 130+ mph. I'll stick to 4 wheels thanks. It was neat to see the newer Mustang Gt 500's and SLP Camaros run too.

Looked like a great time when you guys got together at E-town Gary. If the drive time was a little shorter, it would be fun to catch up with you guys on one of your track gatherings.

Very nice runs !!! My St went 15.89 and don't remember the mph. I will have to check when I get home. I have done a SCT tuner so now I think it will go 15.7's maybe a little better so your 14.0 is a super good run.

I knew that parking lot looked familiar. I need to get my STA and the Shelby to E-town for some base runs. Probably won't be until September as the Shelby is going in for a Tranny rebuild under warranty... love them tremec gremlin's.

I used to look at the guys running SUVs and trucks a little sideways, but since getting the STA, i totally get it now. 1/4 mile fun, get out of her own way on the highway and streets, tows things and goes through snow.... Talk about a complete package!

I wonder if I can get mine to run 13.00. Mine will have Detroit Rocker Cams, Kenne Bell BAP, and the Saleen VI.5 SC unit. I'm having Brenspeed do the engine tuning and Torrie at www.fastpartsnetwork.com do the trans tuning. I plan on getting rid of the spare tire, getting a much much lighter bedcover, and maybe some lighter drag wheels and tires.

I really want 13.00. That is what many Lightnings do with almost no money in mods at all. That's about what my wife's 2011 Subaru STi does. I have to be able to keep up with her. She walks all over my STA. Even the Lightning has all it can do to keep up with her down low. On top it has a chance. Stupid AWD Launch unsually gets me versus the Lightning.

Joe,

I really can't thank you enough for that test drive. I'm really happy about the future of my STA and I'm excited that it will fill all the holes left after the Lightning is gone.

After the SC is done, I'd like to lower it the max amount possibe now (1.75"), get long tube headers made and maybe get a custom valve body made for the tran if anyone out there makes them.

Hey Joe,

What RPM did you preload to? Did it bog a little when you launched or did it rev up smooth? Did you shift it yourself or did you leave it in "D".

What was the temp outside?

Thanks!

Hmmm...that has absolutely nothing to do with my ST specific question to Joe...

The tran bogs if you pre-load to much and if stall in a higher rpm like 3000, if left in D it will launch and shift up to like second or third and just kill your acceleration.

So my questions are more about the vehicle than the wiki depscription of what drag racing is.

Psycareyo,8/19/2011 15:58 CT

Hmmm...that has absolutely nothing to do with my ST specific question to Joe...

Sorry- I was adding to the conversation earlier in the thread about the timing. I wasn't with Joe, so there is no way I could answer your questions to him. Maybe he will come back to this thread and respond to your questions.

Here is my best estimate to your questions Carey and that will be probably it for my fading detail recall. :btddhorse: I'm looking to remember it as a 'fun' run. :driving:

- RPM preload was 'around' 1500 rpm. I had maybe 1-2 seconds tops between the time I got the staging lights to give it a slight power brake and glance down, before the tree started down. They were keeping lanes and cars moving that night. Not much time to analyze.

- It left smooth, did not bog, and went up thru the gears with no issues. I might have been able to raise the rpm's slightly more without spinning on take off, but that's a guess on my part. I only did the 2nd run with the preload. I don't do this stuff everyday.

- The air temp at the start was around 82-83 (from the dash reading as I recall). The second run may have been down around 75 maybe. It was suppose to get down to the low-mid 60's but I didn't stay to squeeze out one more run.

- And finally, I left the truck in D (with OD off) and ESC off, and did not manually shift. It would have made no sense in my mind to manually shift. It would have defeated the purpose of using Torrie's trans tune. Manually shifting most automatics is never crisp and from my experience always results in a shift delay, as compared to proficiently shifting a manual transmission.

Gavin - interesting link on the portatree. Pretty indepth software.

Thats exactly what I was looking for. I was really wondering about the stall. 1500 rpm sounds about perfect. I've been playing around with manually shifting the trans. I find if I time the bump up, I can get more speed than just ramming the gas in drive. It's actually really difficult because if I don't shift it at JUST THE RIGHT TIME it will delay and hit the rev limiter or the shift will be too slow as it deals with the power management.

I've had the hardest time launching in Drive at higher RPM because the damn thing shifts up instantly when I'm off the brake. I've been trying 2400 rpm and 3000 rpm as per the advice that works really well with the Lightning guys with Lightnings. It's a different world with the Adrenalin. That trans tuning really makes it a pain in the butt.

I've found most of my power pre-supercharged is from a roll at 20-30. Punch it and it almost always shifts all the way down. Dropping the hammer at higher speeds results in a bog or zero downshift.

I'm really looking forward to the extra 1-2nd gear power. That was very impressive in the SST.

By the way, the NYS plate SST TRAC is not taken :)

I think I'm going to bring my tire pressure up to maybe 40psi when I do my fulltime AWD Launch. It's not going to spin for crap anyway so I should be better off with less rolling resistance. If I can figure out the tran bog issue I will launch at 2500 rpm.

I plan on taking off my spare tire, tonneau cover and running 1/4 tank if it works out that way after the commute to the track lol.

What else would you suggest?

If I had the money I'd run a set of super light and sticky 18-20" wheels but I don't know the OEM wheel weight and I really can't swing the SC, cam mod and wheels....like ever lol,