12 miners survive

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The really sad thing is that that mine was very unsafe and there have been reports of numerous safety violations before this happened.

I guess that is what happens when you work without a voice.

Tom

Sorry to be the messenger of bad news but I was just reading on a local news site that there was confusion and actually only one miner made it. Prayers go to all the families affected.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, we all know that the information was incorrect.

It is too bad. I can easily see how the info was wrong. With so many people involved it would only take a minor mistake to get the ball rolling.

I am sorry for their loss.

Unfortunately, the town/family members will go head hunting now. No matter the answer(s) they get it will change nothing. They need to concentrate on how to prevent or how to survive in the event something like this happens again. Not hunt down the person that made the initial mistake...

I just heard on the radio that representatives (vultures) from ABC and Fox networks have been in WV for the last two days waiting for a resolution to this story so they can start negotiating and working on a TV movie for the February sweeps period.

Disgusting!:angry:

Very, very tragic.

Definitely going to be a witchhunt unfortunately. The video clips on cnn.com have already posted the he said/she said stuff.

Yeah, the headline on the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette this morning says Miners Found Alive!. Right under it is Dewey Wins!. :huh:

Too bad though but I was kinda expecting that. :(

I really feel sorry for the families. To have been told 12 survived then 3 hours later find out the reverse was true has to be devastating. Hope they clear up how this mis-information got out.

The mistake could have happened so easily and innocent.

For example, the first rescue worker makes it into the tunnel and yells back "there are 12". It could have been taken one of two ways. 12 alive or 12 dead. Everyone is hoping, praying and looking for the best end. So it is assumed when you say "there are 12" they think you mean 12 survivors. Just one of many of the ways it could have gone in the wrong direction.

It is a shame. Once you put the human factor into the formula anything can happen....

Does it need to be looked into???? Yes. Simply to learn from our mistakes. Not to place blame. No good will come from finger pointing...

TomT is right. I really feel sorry for the family. They are the ones that have to live without thier loved ones in thier lives.

Just for the record, it was a non-union mine that was deemed usafe. I hope the remaining miners will wise up and organize that mine to improve the working conditions. It was reported that one of the employees, a week before the incident, purchased a cigar. Friends or family said "Junion, you don't smoke, why did you buy a cigar". His comment was, "I don't know how much longer I will live working for those people." That employees was one of those killed in that mine.

Such a sad state of affairs. I can not imagine how horrible it must have been to be stuck in that mine, only to die.

Tom

From the KOMO4.com website article:

In reality, rescuers had only confirmed finding 12 miners and were checking their vital signs.

A tragic miscommunication/interpretation with hope thrown into the mix....

Last edited by a moderator:
Caymen please,

Will you please, give the union thing a break?

We're in different orbits here, different worlds, and it is getting lame, and that is the most civil way to put it.

Thanks, and I said please.

Chops, Would you agree that the union bashing is just as annoying as my comments have been? There has been a union bashing comment today alone.

Q, Yup. No information? Just repeating what I heard on the news.

Tom

Latest posts