12 GA or 20 GA

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rich

You will never find a decent Skeet, trap, hunting shotgun at 5lbs(maybe a purdy for 100grand)

The lightest shot gun I own is my 28 ga berretta silversnipe at 6lbs 6 oZs.

My Win. Model 12 skeet is 8lbs 4 oz.

My Krieghoff skeet is 7lbs 10oz

My Mod 12 heavy duck 3 in. is will over9 lbs

My win. Model 50 auto (the last all steel shotgun winchester made) is close to 9 lbs.

Just not going to find a quality shotgun with decent wood at the 5 lb mark.

Caymen, please be carefull, I worry about ya bud:p

bill, the point of my post was not to debate specific gun weights, but rather to illustrate that a lighter gun recoils that much harder because the mass portion of the acceleration equation is lower. A single shot, 12ga break action gun with a hard butt plate can beat you up good with just target loads, not because the load is potent, but because the gun is light. Same reason all of the lightweight "scout" type rifles in 30-06, 300 Win Mag, 7mm Rem Mag, etc., typically wind up as safe queens, as people realize that the recoil from those calibers in a 6.5 lb. rifle is brutal.

Caymen: I like the weapon you chose but it's a little plain.

Do they offer one with pinstriping or something to jazz up a bit? :p

I do plan on finding one like it to hold. It's all about the feel IMO.

Since you said the Bersa gave you "nicest feeling", sounds like you're the same.

tottaly agree Rich

I have a .416 Rigby (safe queen) double rifle at almost 10 lbs with a 400 grn bullit the animal is unkind to shoot.

And to think that from the subject line, I thought you were asking which Georgia Bulldog we prefer--Tavarres King (#12), Brandon Boykin (#20), or Marquise Brown (the other #20)... :lol:

I do plan on finding one like it to hold. It's all about the feel IMO.

Since you said the Bersa gave you "nicest feeling", sounds like you're the same.

Holding a gun is all about control. If you have a gun in your hand and you have no control over it, you have the wrong gun.

I suggest the Firestorm over the Bersa. Both are identical. Both are made by Bersa. I like the grip and sights on the Firestorm 380 better than the Bersa Thunder 380. Check them both out.

If you want to jazz it up a little, just fire it. It make some pretty colors out of the barrel.:D

Tom

Well, I went out and bought a DPMS AR Lower Receiver at lunch time today. I was the 4th NCIS (NICS??) check in the 30 mins I was there. Husband/wife store and both were kept hopping. He would call the ATF, she would sell ammo.

This is technically the 14th firearm in my safe.

All sold in a 30 minute window:

-DPMS Lower ($128 to me)

-DPMS AR15A2 ($750!!! Wish I had the cash!)

-Remington Shotgun (870?? $470) Same couple orderd a slightly shorter one as well

-.410/45LC Derringer

-600 rounds Polish 7.62x54r

-500 rounds .223

-Guy changed from a Bushmaster AR15A1 to a Colt AR15M4 for his layaway and added $200 cash down

I asked the wife if they were on track for their best month ever.... she said that was just last week. I was in the same shop last week right after a guy went in and spent several thousand on various items. I also noticed the .50BMG, M1928 Thompson (with giggle switch) and Semi-Auto Grease gun were gone. Dunno if they were sold or taken down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vintage guns are bringing major bucks, real full auto thompson will bring 25 grand, But you need a class3 FFL to buy one

.50 BMGs run at least 5 grand (barretts)

home protection at my bed side note type of bullets used note each mag holds 15 rounds [Broken External Image]:[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
.50 BMGs run at least 5 grand (barretts)

Depends... semi-auto AR style, yeah, $5k will be on the high side. Bolt guns are still in the mid $2k range.

Are used weapons selling well too?

Not as well from what I've seen, mainly since most of the used firearms are shotguns and bolt guns. Most people are out getting the semi's since that what was banned last time around (and it worked soooo well.... I mean seriously.... how many mass bayonetting's did you see between 1994 and 2004???).

Hi cap magazines are getting scarce. 75rd and 100 round drums for AK's and AR's have jumped in price. Anything over 30 rounds are virtually gone. 30 rounders are moving fast and furious.

Between the Justice Department and the BATFE many of what was available jsut two years ago are gone. Form 6's (the importation documents for ammo and firearms) have been hard to get approved if at all. They have implemented a barrel ban in addition to the standard receiver ban (meaning importers have to chop the reciever and barrel of a practiacally brand new firearm).