12 concept cars headed for showrooms

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A $1.1 million Jaguar is one of the auto show favorites likely to be available at dealerships.

Here's a couple that I found interesting:

2012 Ford Vertrek Concept

What was called the Vertrek Concept at auto shows should roll off the assembly line in Louisville, Ky., next spring as the next Ford Escape. The current Escape is ancient, going without a design overhaul to its boxy body since 2001. Whatever can be saved from the Vertrek Concept will be, and it's safe to say that the next Escape is going to get a carlike ride more fitting for the dogfight in the crowded five-passenger crossover segment. Likely to be roomier and more refined, the new Escape should also get the 180-hp, 1.6-liter four-cylinder EcoBoost motor that's already deployed in a few models in Europe and is set to spread to production in the U.S.

And . . .

2012 GMC Sierra All Terrain HD Concept

A "special packages" truck by GM like this one is on the way, but it may not be not as special as the concept, since word is that the production model sold next year won't get the Duramax diesel. Rock-crawlers will want the shortened 5-foot 10-inch bed as well as the wider (by 4.2 inches) track and taller ride height, bringing 11.8 inches of ground clearance. They'd also dig the Fox Racing Shox custom dampers and full-length underbody skidplate. In typical nondenial denial fashion, GM reps say the GMC All Terrain signals absolutely nothing. But the tea leaves suggest General Motors needs to follow Chrysler (with the Ram line) in truly separating GMC from Chevrolet.

A shortened bed 'Gimmy', eh? I may have to check that out when (IF?) it arrives as a replacement for my trac since Ford has dropped that ball.

Last edited by a moderator:
That GM would definitely be a consideration for me. My wife would love it because I've been trying to switch her over to Ford. I'm going to go where I can get what I need, though.

"But the tea leaves suggest General Motors needs to follow Chrysler (with the Ram line) in truly separating GMC from Chevrolet."

Never will happen from a design and engineering stand point. Too costly. GM is struggling with its mission statement right now. Heck, The Chrysler 200 is a much better car than any mid size car GM has. If Ford wasn't around, I'd look at Chrysler first before GM.

It pains me to say it, but that Scion FR-S looks pretty appealing.

Perhaps Scion is moving in the right direction now? The new XB, while still not my thing, is not as petite and fugly as the first one. I take it this car, should it ever come to production, stands to challenge cars like the Genesis coupe? I hope the affordable, economical, & fun RWD trend continues, as I've recently been driving a few FWD cars to commute, and it just feels so wrong.

But the tea leaves suggest General Motors needs to follow Chrysler (with the Ram line) in truly separating GMC from Chevrolet.
Or as Toyota has clearly done with Scion. This FR-S wouldn't fit in the Toyota line IMO, for when I think Toyota, I think of generic commuter cars that are all about getting from Point A to Point B, and have a lack of handling and fun befitting of that mission. My 2002 ST is sportier than the 2011 Camry that's also "in the family".

I hope GM doesn't come up with a product that sucks in those who were in the ST market. I have use for a truck which is like the ST, but I want absolutely nothing to do with GM.

" when I think Toyota, I think of generic commuter cars that are all about getting from Point A to Point B, and have a lack of handling and fun befitting of that mission."

come on now, this pup will get you to point A & B with some fun and pep. :haveabeer:

[Broken External Image]:

I'll have to take your word on that, as all I know is my extensive experience with the Camry/Avalon and the like, and "pep" has never been a word I'd use when describing them.

Latest posts