10W30 instead of 5W30

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benny Kearns

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just made a mistake (I think) of putting 3qts 10W30 and 2qts 5W30 into the ol' ST. Seems that Advance Auto mixed up my order with 8qts 10w30 and 2qt 5w30.

Will there be any harm in using the 10w30?

regards,

Benny

None whatsoever. If it's dino oil, just be sure to change it when due.

Ford says that 10-30 can be used but they suggest it be drained at first opportunity.

Don't worry about it.

For dino or syn-blend probably ok. I have mixed oils before. Changed it sooner than normal millage. No problems.

since it is summer out, it shouldn't be an issue, especially since there is 5-30 in there... HTH

Last edited by a moderator:
Since I don't live in the cold winter states, I have never used that 5W30 'water' at all. I have always used 10W30 since my first oil change in my Trac.

the 10W-30 has the same viscosity when at operating temperature as the 5W-30. The 5W is a little less viscose when cold than the 10W. In warmer wether you should experience no noticeable difference in the 2 different weight oils.

I agree 100% with Mike. it does not make a difference what weight oild you put in it. Ford has on all there new cars that they recomend a synthitic blend 5w-20. It don't mater if you live in Florida or Alaska. It still says 2w-20 on the cap and the books. I use 10w-30 all the time. And mixing them will not do a thing. It will not hurt it one bit.

Agree with the above, in the summer it won't matter.

I will note that the ONE engine that Ford still specifies 5w-30 for is the 4.0 SOHC.

Latest posts