100K 2005 Sport Trac XLT - Transmission Issues?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler Brown

Reaction score
Hey guys, long time visitor to this board, but this is my first time posting.

:banana: I purchased a 2005 Sport Trac XLT last September (2014) from a local Ford dealer. The truck has 84k miles on it, and after a basic tune up, it ran like a dream.

:driving: I have now been driving the truck a little over a year, and it is just about to hit 100k. I'm due for an oil change at 103K, and that is when I plan to do the 100,000 mile tune up, and everything that goes along with it. But this is why I have a bit of a concern.

:cry: About two weeks ago I was heading to a friend's house, who essentially lives on top of a mountain. The whole drive there, everything was fine. However, once I got back in the truck to head home, it wouldn't start, and was acting almost as if it were out of gas or something. It kept giving a gentle "chug", but just wouldn't start. After fiddling with the key for about a full minute, turning everything on and off multiple times, it finally started and we were on our way. However, on the entire ride home, I noticed a significant loss of power, and the transmission kept acting odd - slamming in/out of gears, not shifting at the correct time, etc.

:banged: This loss of power/odd shifting lasted for about 3 days, then gradually went away. However, two weeks later, it has now returned. It seems like every time I go from 2nd to 3rd, the transmission just slams into gear. The same thing intermittently happens when shifting out of Park as well.

Anyway, the reason for this post is because I know that many of you guys who have older Sport Trac's have had to replace your transmission at some point. I was just wondering: about how many miles did you get before the replacement? What symptoms lead up to the replacement, etc? Also, for any of you mechanics: does this issue sound like it is likely transmission related?

:eek:ff topic: My father is the manager at a dealership just outside of town, and I'm planning to head in shortly to get wheel bearings replaced, rear shocks, and a couple other things. But I noticed the other day that the dealer has a Gen 2 Sport Trac on the lot with about 135k miles on it. With my father being the manager, we get pretty hefty discounts on used cars, and a bit more cash for trade-ins as well, so I could essentially get the Gen 2 for the trade-in value of my Gen 1. So I was just curious, before putting all of this work into the truck, would any of you guys just recommend trading up, or is it worth while to put the extra work into the Gen 1, even if the transmission needs replaced?

Cheers

:haveabeer:

Sounds like you have two separate issues. My old 2001 ST had a similar issue after we arrived in the mountains from Florida, my problem was dirty/clogged injectors, excessive carbon build up in throttle body and IACV (Idle air control valve) after it all was cleaned it ran normal. Problem was blamed on bad gas in KY. Your transmission issues sound like it needs a good flushing and maintenance.

Latest posts