10,000 miles of Ultimate Road Adventure

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a b

Reaction score
Just want to proudly share an unbelievable mega road trip experience. It took me three weeks vacation in September, 1,500$ on gas and more than 10,000 miles driven on my six years old ST that performed perfectly without a glitch. I left Morris Plains NJ having the target the farthest north point reachable by car in US, which is Prudhoe Bay (Deadhorse) in Alaska – a huge Oil Field. Here is a link that wonderfully describes this Ultimate Road Trip. I’ve crossed countless states, seen Mount Rushmore, drove the Alaska Hwy, Trans Canada Hwy (on the way back) and Dalton Hwy. The Dalton Highway stretches 414 miles across northern Alaska from Livengood (84 miles north of Fairbanks) to Deadhorse and the oilfields of Prudhoe Bay. Built during construction of the trans-Alaska oil pipeline in the 1970s, this mostly gravel highway travels through rolling, forested hills, across the Yukon River and Arctic Circle, through the rugged Brooks Range, and over the North Slope to the Arctic Ocean. Along most of its length, you’ll see no restaurants, no gift shops, no service stations just forest, tundra, and mountains from horizon to horizon, crossed by a double ribbon of road and pipe. Check out the link and download the visitor guide for a very nice description and trip advice that got me totally hooked. And because a picture is worth a thousand words check out my library for some pictures that I took along the way. The scenery and wildlife encountered is such a unique experience that I warmly recommend it to any nature lover. Let me quote someone who says is better than I’m able to:

“…I trucked the Haul Road to Prudhoe a few hundred times and fished Grayling Lake and hunted the South Fork Koyukuk for 10 years in a row. Really, really miss it – the beauty, quiet, and the freedom it brings one’s mind. It’s definitely the best mental medicine on earth.”

WOW!! What beautiful photos and an amazing trip. I'd love to do a road trip like that when I retire. Thank you for sharing this adventure with us.:D

Sorin - Glad to see you still have your ST. It has been a long time since I have talked with you. How long have you been up north? The last time I talked with you was when you still lived in GA.

I still have my ST and it is still going strong. 124,000 Miles and just changed the factory Battery on it last week. :)

Latest posts