09 STA AWD

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John A

Reaction score

Question for those who own a 08-09 STA AWD, have any of you had the chance to drive in snow/ice with the stock 20" tires? If so, how did it perform?

With the prices now, also having the option of A Plan I'm thinking of making the purchase, will start looking on Friday but being in Ontario, Canada I want make sure this vehicle will tackle the snow/ice as is.

Thanks...John

Since the 08 STA started production in Jan of 08 most of the people didn't actually buy or order them until Feb or later. I don't think many have actually driven the AWD unit in the snow.

The first person I ever found with a 08 STA was Nocturnal. Judging by online activity, he got his extremely early on. He probably bought it off the showroom floor instead of ordering it imo. His is 4x2 though.

The tires are pretty good. Nice tread pattern. I'm expecting great performance this winter.

I sold a 08 Merc Mountaineer with the same 20" wheels and the customer loved theirs in the winter. It was an AWD.

Problem is I don't want to fork out extra $$$ for spare set of Winter Rims. Looking for 1 set all year round... Comparing to a LTD which won't need extra set...

Trying to make a good $$$ decision...

You don't need winter rims or tires on the STA. It's not like they're chrome plated wheels. Keep them clean and watch them for fade.

If I had the extra money I'd buy a set of 18s for the winter just for piece of mind. The reaility is that you can replace the stock STA 20s with nicer for less money. So even if you wanted to buy another set of wheels, why not just buy a different set of 20s and run the stock all year?

Don't get me wrong, they are gorgeous wheels. Best stock bang for the buck imo. However, not worth the additional cost to preserve them imo.

Once mine become beat to snott I''l replace them with 22s.

Even still, I could have my rims re-polished and brought back to their original luster for even less!

Ok here is the scoop... My new 2009STA worked as good as my 02 in 6" of snow and I must say the traction and drive in the snow was very impressive. On the hiway it gripped well with no slips. The roads around town were slushie and the trac preformed very well. It cut through the snow banks well and did not bogg down when going through. I drove it around a empty lot with 6" in it and tried to get it to spin and had trouble getting it to. Now the Trac only has 200 miles on the tires but so far I am really happy.

Hope this helps

I have noticed that if you get a lot of snow stuck in the rim it throws the wheel balance off and causes a tiny vibration.

I've also noticed that when the stock tires are cold, when you start driving to work, there is a litle shake from the tire being out of round until it warms up. My Fiance's WRX does the same thing with her 45 series 17s.

Nothing I didn't already expect. I don't feel it causes any problems with the vehicle. It is annoying though.

Latest posts