08 rear sway bar upgrade

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Per a previous post on the topic, I've been contemplating swapping the rear sway bar on my 08 with the larger 09/10 sway bar.

However, after doing some digging, I've found that the 07/08 rear sway bar is 23 mm (.905511 inches) and the 09/10 rear sway bar is 25 mm (.984251 inches).

With this small difference in size (.07874 inches), it doesn't seem to me to be worth the $$$ and effort to make the change. The 09/10 bar is, if I recall correctly, $117. from Ford.

That said, the FORD folks must have thought the slight increase in size was important I guess, or they wouldn't have increased it.

If anyone on here has made the change, was the difference in handling noticeable???

Just turned over 4000 since I bought the truck in mid-Jan. I'm really enjoying it ...EXCEPT for only ONE thing that I just absolutely despise: the exhaust exiting from the driver's side!

Thanks.

Steve

Hey Steve that does seem like a pretty small difference, would be interesting to hear from someone whos made the switch.

We seem to have the same pet peeves, the exhaust exit, gas door on wrong side etc. I did see a post either here or at explorerforum where someone put a Adrenaline(sp?) tip on their exhaust so it goes straight out the back, might be better, no?

p.s., I got the dog set up not too bad in the back, thanks, for the advice.

Cheers, Todd

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Todd...glad you got it worked out. I ok with the gas fill being on the passenger side, but I'm sure that because of that the exhaust must exit on the opposite side...one thing always leads to another.

I didn't mention that my only other "issue" is the BP logo on the gas cap...my stomach turns every time I fill up! That has to go! If I was on empty I'd push the damn thing myself before giving any money to BP. Just me!

Yeah, the difference in the sway bar is less than 5/64ths of an inch. Maybe there's something else about it that makes it stronger (tougher material???), I don't know. But all things being equal I can't see that it could make a noticeable difference. Maybe Ford just got the bar from a different supplier for the 09/10 model years, the difference could be something as simple as that. Probably someone here knows.

Steve

Psycareyo...maybe there's something else involved like a bit stiffer rear springs, or even something like the mounting position of the bar or even its length could result in some improvement.

More important than the sway bar for me is the rear springs...I'd like them a bit stiffer for the some of the off-roads I sometimes find myself on. As far as just normal driving down the boulevard I'm fine with the way it handles and rides.

Steve

Latest posts