07 V8 highway gas milage

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geoff Barker

Reaction score
I was driving through Manitoba today, very flat and with no wind. So I decided to test my gas milage. I ran for 45 minutes at 60 mph and got 21.3 mpg, reset, and ran another 30 minutes at 70 mph and got 18.0 mpg. A drop of 15% for just 10 more mph. Too bad I am always in a hurry.

I find that my mileage is consistant but the separation between city and hwy/interstate can be quite large. I actually get almost the same mileage (about 2 mpg more) with my Mustang with the same motor in it and it weighs a lot less than the ST.

Typically in town I get between 15-17, on the interstate (75-80) I get 18-20, and on the hwy (60) I get between 21-25. I went on a camping trip across Nebraska earlier in the month and over the 600 mile trip I avereaged 21. I was very impressed with that. I had about 1500 lbs of people and camping gear, plus a 6ft wide hitch mounted platform hanging off the back, running the A/C about half of the time, a lot of start and stops, some in town driving and of course the sandhills are not very flat. The motor only had about 1000 miles on it at the time so as well.

I think that is very, very good for the type of vehicle, actually seems to be on par or even better than a lot of V6's with less power. Of course one of the biggest factors is the driver, and I have always been able to get at least or better than the manufacturer MPG ratings.

I've had mine for 7 weeks (about one tank a week) with the same result: around 11.4 mpg. I have a VERY heavy foot, though.....I treat the Trac the way I used to treat my 993 and my 850ci.

Just finished a trip across Virginia. Roanoke-Richmond avereaged 21 MPG. Richmond-Roanoke was 20. That's about 1-2 MPG better since I have put on the modified throttlebody. City MPG renains between 14 - 16 MPG, unless my Wife is driving (full on, full brake!), then it's more like 14 MPG. Very impressed.

I got 22MPG between Richmond and Beaufort, NC. Just got 19MPG between Pottsville, PA and Baltimore.

After the latest TSB reflash, I'm seeing 17MPG city miles when I was getting 15MPG before.

12 in town ..... 20 highway ...... right at 10K miles now, hasn't changed

a bit....don't expect it will.....I'm happy!:D

Are you guys calculating the milage, or letting the trip computer do it?

Every Ford I have had in the past, the trip computer was always 2 to 3 mpg higher than reality...

Every Ford I have had in the past, the trip computer was always 2 to 3 mpg higher than reality...

My 05 F150 trip computer is bang on, the most it has been out is .1 mpg. I reset it every time I fill up.

My mustang is always within a tenth or two of calculated, the trac has been as far off as .5 mpg from calc. My last couple dodges were always very close too. I have come to trust the readings because of my good experience with them, so much so that I occasionally find myself driving on less than a gallon in the tank :eek:

It may have something to do with driving habits or filling habits, because I have heard others say the same thing, that they cannot trust them because they are so far off. Yet I have not had problems with it on all my vehicles.

Geoff,

a 30-45 minute drive is not sufficient to get an accurate reading of your MPG., as well as I wonder what you are using to check your mileage at those intervals??

If you have some sort of trip computer that registers instantanious MPG you will see that you can probably get as much a 30+ MPG for short distances under ideal conditions, like gointg down hiw with a tail wind, etc.

It's also possible to get some phenominal mileage for one tank and abismal mileage for the second tank.

Don't assume that what you got in on 30 minute drive is your true overall MPG. Mileage iwl vary depending upon speed, traffic weather, and terrain. Hitting a head wind or heavier traffic, even on the freeway can reduce mileage. I notice a big change in my MPG when school starts because of the increased traffic all around the town and especially in the school zone I have to drive through on my way to work.

...Rich

David - I see you have an 07 ST, one of the latest flashes for your ST discussed on this site corrects the inaccurate MPG display. Take it in to the dealer and have them flash it for you. Do a search on this site for the TSB number.

Hopefully that fixes your inaccurate readings.

David, the TSB# is 07-10-12, if you are interested in the details see my library. I highly reccomend this TSB update, everyone that has are reporting positive improvements in the truck's performance.

On average I get about 21.5 highway and 15.6 city with my 07 V8 ST. I have the modded throttle boady which improved my gas mileage and throttle response.

If the above 2 posts are meant for me I must have not been clear. I have not had any problems with the accuracy of the MPG reading of the trac, they are always very close to calculated. Usually within 2-3 tenths and at max 1/2 mpg off. I was just saying that this vehicle can get drastically different true MPG between worst city MPG and best highway MPG.

I may go in to get the TSB someday but it is always a pain in the rear, as they will not do them unless they see the problem themselves and I usually have to take a day of vacation to go to the nearest dealer. Personally I do not think I am having any issues, and sometimes a TSB can actually yield worse performance rather than better. I already have an xcal2 and am currently running the 87 performance tune because of high gas prices around here for premium (70+ cents more per gallon). I am also waiting for my cat back exhaust to get here.

I do plan on the TB mod but I am waiting on the MAF to come out and I will do them at the same time. I may replace my filter with a high flow (read as less filtering) but am undecided about that.

Sorry David, somehow I combined your post and Fast Eddies when I read them. Don't know what happened when I read that stuff. Apparently it is time for my meds. :wacko:

Richard, I agree that the larger the number of miles I could log, the less my margin of error, but I tried to be as meticulous about it as I could. It was a very straight and level road, there was no wind, no traffic, I used cruisecontrol, checked the speed with the GPS, and felt that the indash MPG readouts had leveled-off. I know results will vary for everyone, the reason I posted was because I was suprised to see my MPG fall so much when I increased my speed by just 10 mph.

This past weekend on a round trip to Huntsville, AL from Atlanta and back, I averaged approximately 18.5 mpg with an average speed of around 80 to 85 mph. There is quite an elevation change and many hills to traverse along this route.

On a previous trip to the Georgia coast Memorial Day weekend, I averaged 20.4 mpg with the cruise set at 75 mph. This was pretty much a straight, flat drive.

Lil Red

Thanks for details on the TSB

I had read about it from someone on this forum but didn't know what it addressed

Other than it sounded like some of what I was experiencing.

The ones I seemed to notice were

1) Cold hesitation/ surge

2) Long Crank

8) Lower than desired RPM during long deceleration.

It’s the kind of thing that is very slight and sporadic and would be very hard for a Tech to notice. But I noticed it :)

I just got back from vacation and had the dealer do the 5k maintenance, mostly to have this TSB done and another warranty issue. I already did the oil.

I've only driven it home so far but my impressions are the engine turns over quicker when starting, and I notice a defiant change in shifting/ acceleration.

Will have to drive it for a while to see if the hesitation from stop is gone but so far so good

btw its a 2007 4.6 XLT 4X4 4,700 mile

PS on topic

The vacation was a 800 mile round trip to Gatlinburg TN, Plus a side trip to Cherokee NC

90% of the trip in cruise control 70mph avg'd 20.5 mpg and the computer was very accurate, if reset at each fill up.

I typically get 14.5-15.5 city/highway. I didn't reset it after we got back from the trip and it’s at

18.5mpg and working its way back down to normal :( I though I read somewhere that it base’s its average on the last 500 miles

Thanks to the members of this forum.

When I was describing my symptoms to the dealer service rep he said he had not heard of anyone having those problems with the 07 Sporttrac but I was able to give him the TSB #

Mad