07 V8 engine noise

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gene Marshall

Reaction score
After many weeks of arguing with the dealer and Ford and contacting the BBB, Ford sent a tech to look into the engine noise heard only on one side of the engine. My brother finally heard from Ford and they are replacing the engine, not able to or not willing to explain the problem.

If you are in an 07 V8 and only one side of the engine is making sounds that are different than the other (the proper side is quite, the other makes whining, clattering or anything other sound that a normal engine makes), take it to your dealer and show your a** if need be to get them off their duffs to repair it.

I have read on this site of some experiencing the same problem. It’s only going to get worse and it’s not going to fix itself. Don’t wait until your warranty runs out. Get it looked at now and don’t let the dealer tell you that "they all do it" or "it normal."

The warranty won't be up until I reach 60k miles (mileage before years always for me), but do you have a recording of the sound?? I am interested in hearing what I should be listening for...

Gotta love the dealers... :blink:

I'm in the process of educating my dealer on the TSB available for shift/driveability problems with early '07 Build 1's. (TSB 06-13-01). The first Service Advisor I ran into kept telling me it did not exist! I'm gettin' old, but I'm not that far gone... yet.

My '07 V-8 is very quiet thus far. The 4.6 seems like a real sweet motor and smooth. OBVIOUSLY any loud or strange noise is not correct. Unbelievable that we have to "convince" them when our ride is doing something out of the ordinary.

Good luck with that new motor. It must be very frustrating!

Take care.

Smitty :cool:

My V8 was replaced with 850 miles on it by Ford under warranty. Sounded like a diesel on one side. Removal of a wire on an injector caused the noise to go away. Engineers in Louisville told me it was possibly a bearing / bottom end issue.

Smitty - go see another dealer. I had this problem with a TSB on my old ST and had to take it to a totally different dealer 30 miles away but they gave me zero hassle and even knew what I was talking about. Some dealers don't want to work with the customer. Seek out one that does or contact Ford Customer Service and explain the issue to them.

My '07 has been making similar noises since the first week. Whining, chirping and, at times, it sounds like a diesal. Been back once already with no relief - "we need more time to look at this."

Thanks for the post, Gene. Gives me more ammo to throw at them.

Pat: what do you mean by "the sound went away when a wire to an injector was removed? Pls elaborate. ALSO - how did you manage to speak with and engineer in Louisville??

Hi Flyer,

The service manager at the dealer told me that during diagnosis, they removed the wire on one injector and the noise went away. This means that one cylinder was not firing. When one cylinder does not fire, the piston is not pushed down by the exploding air/fuel charge. They figured that since the pressure was relieved for that piston/rod/bearing unit, that it was probably a bearing issue.

I brought up the noise to the engineers during the 2006 National Sport Trac meet in Louisville and they said that the most typical cause of the noise was the variable cam timing but that they had identified that problem in the 3V V8 before they went off the assembly line for the Sport Trac. Apparently, that was a major problem of noise in the engine under 1200 RPM in V8 in other Fords. So, they are saying the noise is probably not VCT, but in your case it might be. Not sure. For my case, they said it was probably a bearing. Click on the link below to hear what this sounded like prior to them replacing the engine.

Pat:

Thanks for the clarification. Great post, especially the wmv file.

Brought my ST back again, today. The service manager drove it. He agrees somethings out of wack and is trying to get a Ford engineer in to look at it.

Thanks,

Latest posts