07 ST towing????

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blake Esken

Reaction score
anyone with the 07 st towed yet? how is the towing with the independent rear suspension?? i have a 4000 lb boat and was wondering how it would do with the 07 ST V8

haha I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess it will do just fine... seeing as how my v6 2003 can do that with no problems at all. :D :D :D

haha I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess it will do just fine... seeing as how my v6 2003 can do that with no problems at all. :D :D :D

So far all I have towed was my 1990 Thunderbird SC on a car dolly about 180 miles. Did great. I have the V8. The dolly did not have brakes on it and the SC is a heavy, heavy car. Did really well. I did not travel above 60mph on the highway with it, and had the O/D switched off. Thsi in effect uses the engine as a brake. The transmission no longer coasts down to a stop with the OD off.

I towed my Motorcycle Clubs 26ft enclosed trailer with my 07 V8 and it pulled just fine. My biggest complaint was that i could not see around the trailer because it' so wide but that has nothing to do with it's ability to perform. The independant suspension works fine and to my freinds surprise the ST didn't sit down more than an inch or so on the back end. I should have taken pics but I didn't think about it. Pics of the trailer are in my library though.

I have done only a limited amount of towing with my ST, an '07 with the V6. My boat and trailer is about 3500 lb. It seems to as well or better than my previous F-150 did. F-150 had the 4.9L I6 & 4 speed auto. I will be able to tell for sure when we head to the Keys for some diving this summer!

Ghosty, '07 V8 Limited, has pulled my parade car and trailer all over Houston, around Texas, and Louisiana. Trailer and car weigh in at 6400 lbs., so when I have 3 passengers and tools in the bed, we are somewhat overloaded. Gas mileage goes down to 12.5 - 13.5, depending if I'm running 70 or 60. I've hurried on trips (70mph) and taken it easy on trips (60 or so), and I've decided that 60 is so much easier on Ghosty that I'm planning to leave earlier on future trips so I can run a little slower. Braking is the only issue, since my trailer has no brakes, but a load of that size will push any truck. I could not be happier with the way it tows my load. I leave it in OD all the time. It downshifts out of OD when a headwind hits, or a little rise in the road. But it goes back in OD on down the road.....Texas has lots of flat roads, so we're ok for the most part.

I have towed a pop-up trailer with the V8 ST several times. It does a great job, and my trailer does have brakes with a controller in the truck, but it weighs in at about 4500 lbs, loaded up. It handles the hills here in the central valley very well, and I usually leave it in OD if on level road, take it out of OD in the hills. I have taken it to the coast, which includes some pretty steep grades, and had no problems at all. I usually keep the speed at around 60-65 on open highway. Take a look...[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Towed my 27ft trailer 2000 miles last August - no problems. The GVWR on the trailer is 4400 lbs. The ST tows excellent. Uses lots of gas though - cruising about 65mph with the OD on (it wouldn't lock up the torque converter in 6th) 9.5 - 10 mpg on I81 through the hills. Lots of power - could accelerate from 45mph up to 70mph + going up the mountains passing the big rigs.

Latest posts