'07 ST LTD 4x4 tires?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blksn8k

Reaction score
I think I am finally ready to order an '07. One of my biggest concerns has been the stock Michelin tires on the 4x4. I have always had great luck with BFG All-Terrain T/A's but the last time I checked there was only one size available for the 18" stock wheels on the Limited. That was a 285 series tire with a 32.8" diameter. That is a big increase over the stock tire's 30" dia. While I'm sure the speedo could be corrected/reprogrammed, I would be more concerned about the performance loss. I was just now looking at the Tire Rack's website and was very pleased to see that BFG now has a 265/65 R18 in the All-Terrains with a 31.7" dia. That looks like an excellent compromise and it will work on the stock 7.5" wide wheel. Has anyone tried these tires yet? What other tires has anyone tried on an '07 4x4 Limited?

I too will be looking for a wider tire (if my 07 ever comes in). I was looking at getting different wheels 16x8 or 17x8 just to increase tire options, but those 265/65-18s just might work.

PRM, that was my plan as well until I discovered this new size. My understanding is that the new GM full size SUV's come with a 265/65-18 and that is why BFG decided to offer this size. I suppose we should thank the General...

webby, I'm not too worried about ride quality. Some of the reasons I'm buying this thing include the seating capacity, size, it's towing capabilities and the fact that it has a true 2-speed transfer case that can be of use in off-road situations. The OEM tires don't do much to enhance the off or on-road capabilities whereas the BFG All-Terrains will hopefully be a much more capable off-road as well as winter time on-road tire. I have used them on nearly every 4x4 vehicle I have ever owned and I have never found them to be a bad compromise between a street tire and a decent off-road tire for my needs. The Sport Trac will never be a rock crawler or bud bogger as long as I own it and from experience I know the BFG's will do very nicely for everything else.

BTW, I placed my order about an hour ago. I tried to get the dealer to install the BFG's but they wanted about eighty dollars more installed than what I can get them from the Tire Rack for and have them installed by a local tire shop. They did say they would reprogram the computer to adjust for the difference in tire diameters. I did have them order the skid plates for the transfer case and gas tank through their parts dept. The price was $439 which includes labor for the dealer to install. I tried to get the dealer to order them as a factory installed option but they said they could not since that is a fleet only option. I suppose I could shop around for another dealer that might be more willing to do this stuff but I'm tired of screwing around.

Hope your ST order goes faster than mine. Ordered (for second time) on 9/20, still "unscheduled." Definitely going to have to reconsider my plans for wheels and tires. Those 18" BFGs would look and work great. They are expensive though. For not too much more I could get some wheels and tires in 16s or 17s for the cost of the 18" tires. It's close enough to remain an option anyway. Also, I noticed the BFGs are really heavy tires. Not sure if that really matters, just noticed that they are quite a bit heavier than the similar sized (265/70-16 or 17) Bridgestone Revos. Here is one of the wheels I was looking at. Would have never considered them based on web pictures alone, then I saw them on an F-150. They looked really nice.

PRM, that's a nice wheel. I wonder how it compares strength wise to the OEM wheels? Might be something to consider if you plan on towing or hauling anything heavy...Hope your ST comes in soon.

As far as the weight of the BFG's, it is probably due to the sidewall construction. They advertise them as being able to run on very low air pressure without damaging the tire or the wheel. Too bad the damn tire pressure monitors won't like that. I personally don't have a problem with the weight. I know what these tires are capable of and I am willing to sacrifice a little extra weight to get the other benefits. Plus they just look cool on any 4x4 IMHO.

BTW, after rechecking my numbers I decided to let the dealer install the BFG's. They were not as far off on price as I originally thought. When I first asked about this I wanted the dealer to keep the Michelns and just give me credit for them but they refused. Now I told them fine, but I want the Michelins and they agreed to that. Less hassle this way.

Cool! I agree the BFGs look great. Test drove an FJ Cruiser with the TRD 16" wheels and 265/70-16 BFGs. Looked really nice. My way of venting frustration about the lack of a new ST after so long. I don't even know how to check on the strength of a wheel. I'll call a bud who manages a Discount Tire store. He can probably find out. I guess the stiffer sidewall will make the sensors much less sensitive since the sidewall height won't change as much with a change in tire psi.

agree, the fortera HLs ain't an off road tire, and the bfg ats are good compromise for dramatically increased off road and in winter performance.

with my 07, what is the biggest tire I can get on there stock without ever having to worry about rubbing? stock 17 rims. would like to go a little wider as well.

Latest posts