~ 07 Brake Upgrade updates

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D Potts

Reaction score
Looking for updates from those who have done the Upgraded Rotors and Pads....

I know most have used the BrakePerformance.com Dimpled rotors and various pads, How are they holding up!?

I am having a little trouble justifying the 13" Big Brake kit when there is a $500 upgrade out there !

Thx

Hey Ice, I've got about 10k on mine(brakeperformance) and wear is "normal"? Pads(ceramic) are about 75%, rotors look fine(drilled/slotted). I would say there was a small gain in braking performance, maybe 5-10% better braking distances, average brake dust buildup. The bigger brakes will most likely result in far better braking, plus the rotors would fill up the space behind the wheel. If a set was available at the time, I would have gotten the bigger set. My suggestion would be to make available an updated caliper(4 piston or better) to fit stock rotors first. I wonder if the calipers from a Mustang kit would fit? Keep us posted. BC

I went with the premium mettalic pads and the drilled/slotted rotors from brake performance. The braking power had a huge improvement. Both initial bite and and the feedback through the pedal seem to have doubled over stock. The dust however is also twice as much! And it has a red tint.... keepeing a coat of wheel wax has made cleaning the wheels easy though.

If there was a rotor/ caliper kit that could be had under $1000 I would go for it. Somebody needs to get the ball for an exlporer big brake kit!

(Previously posted)

I bought some black dimpled/slotted rotors and ceramic pads from Brake Performance. I bedded pads per instructions. The brakes work fine while cool at lower speeds and easy brake pressure. However, slowing down from highway speeds feels like they are grabbing/pulsing and shaking the front end. One time it smelled like the pads were burning. I have no shimmy or pull driving at any speed when not useng brakes. Once the rotors have heated up from a high speed stop, they even feel horrible at slow speed stops. They grab and feel like warped rotors... Plus the pads claim to be low dust, they are far worse than the factory pads.

I'm leaning toward resurfacing factory rotors and putting different pads on. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
If I do not do the big brake kit I was gonna go witht the Akebono pads...

BobC, PepperK496:

What pads are you guys using!?

Stad95GT:

I think a lot of that had to do with the cheapo FREE pads! If that member woudl have used the better pads then I say it woudl have been aton better!

I am gonna go talk to the Place that is offering the Big Brake kit for me, I will see what they have to say about it all and see if they can make just teh SS Brake Lines!?

Just talked with "Aerospace Components" again about the Big Brake kit....

They said that the $1600 cost woudl be on the low side and that the brakes might be closer to a $2k cost!

Said it woudl take them 6-8weeks to complete the kit and that they woudl need the Spindle, Stock Brakes and a wheel to do it.....SOooooo I guess that option is OUT!

Ended up buying the EBC Slotted/Dimpled Rotors from "PlaceForBrakes" and some EBC 6000 pads all-around! Cost was $553 and they through in 2 bottles of Brake Fluid since I had to Pay FL tax...

Might try to find a company in the area to do my Brake lines....there is one near by!

Jeez. $1600-$2000? Somebody with parts knowledge should do us all a favor and find out if something even comes close for a cross fitment.

I remember using dodge daytona rear rotors to replace the drums on a cavalier about 8 years ago. We need something similiar on for the trac!

Hey, its me, I got the ceramic pads from brakeperformance when I got the rotors. Nothing special to say about them, I mean there must be better pads out there? Still think better calipers/pads would be a huge improvement. BC

Yeah I tried to get the 7000's for the front but they said they were not available any more.....

The guy was very knowledgeable and even knew about the difficult bracketry of our Brake lines. We got to talking and he seemed very familiar with the trac!?

I Asked about the Akebono pads and he said they were great for long lasting low dust street pads but woudl not stop as well as the 6000's.......I want grip!

If I end up changing these after 3 months I may look at my other options on pads!

Dingo: What pads did you have best luck with!?

He's familiar with the trac because he was one of my vendors.

Sadly, my best combination so far is the EBC rotors with OEM pads.

These Look interesting:

[Broken External Image]:

Company Says it will take 2-weeks to duplicate a set for the Trac ( 4 pice kit ...front/Rear). Deffinetly Do-able....but I have to Buy the Lines from ford first so that pretty much doubles the cost.

Once they make a set they woudl not be able to do another unless it's on the same order......unless someone wants to go through the whole process again!

So my suggestion is that we get some people together and do a group order....there would not be a discount unless it is an order above $3k (Which I doubt is gonna happen!)

UNLESS TODD wants to buy some stock and sell them through Zabteck!?

I AM NOT ADVERTISING FOR THIS COMPANY, just wanted to pass the info along in case anyone wants to jump in! I would need the funds up front though.

Picking up the SS brake lines today (FRONT ONLY)! I bought a set of NEW Lines from FORD and took them to teh company making the SS Lines for me.

Once I get them I will take pics!

After I install them, I am gonna take my originals back in to have another set of SS lines made out of them. If anybody wants them I will sell them for $199 shipped

(The company uses the existing Brakets and hardware, just incorporates the SS weaved brake line on in place of the Rubber line)

For those who do not know the SS line does not expand under pressure like the rubber line does, thus decreasing the "Spoungy" feeling!

My Pads (EBC 6000) and brake fluid (EBC Dot4) came in yesterday and the rotors (EBC Slotted/Dimpled) are due in on Tuesday. :banana:

SS Braided Front Brake Lines.....(F&R) EBC Slotted/Dimpled Rotors......(F&R) EBC 6000 Pads.....EBC Brake Fluid

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Installed the Brake setup today....

Still in the "Pad Bedding" mileage but from what I can tell alread the braking has improved!

Had to Paint the Outside of the pads though....Loooked too "Christmas" like with the Green/Red under there!

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

All this talk about brake upgrades...are you guys autocrossing your ST's or something and have massive brake fade going on are are you just trying to improve pedal feel? Just thinking here but once the brakes lock up, which the stock brake setup is more than capable of accomplishing, the abs takes over. Once that happens how effective is all the hardware that you spent good money on actually helping. Unless you upgrade the tires so that they stick to the road are you really accomplishing anything other than maybe an improved pedal feel. I remember on mu Lexus IS350 when we bought it the front brake dusting was horrible and the initial brake bite would put you through the windshield. Lexus came out with new pads that cut down dramitically on the dusting but claimed that brake performance would suffer. Before I had the new pads installed I did 3 stops from 60-0 and measured each one, once the new pads were installed and broke in I did the same 60-0 stops at the same place and the braking was still the same as before adn the initial pedal bite wasn't as severe as with the old pads. People on the Lexus forum swore up and down that the braking performance was reduced when in actuality the pedal just felt a little different is all.

My whole post is useless if you are trying to get rid of brake fade from towing alot or from running it through the twistys...but then again this isn't the vehicle for doing either.

BTW not trying to start trouble or anything just trying to understand the reason behind the madness on a daily driver that is not performance minded.

Latest posts