07 4.6L Towing

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dana Guffin 2

Reaction score
How big of a enclosed trailer are you guys comfortably towing with 4.6L? I'm towing a 1200lb. 7x16 open trailer with 3800lb. car on it with no problem. I want to up grade to enclosed 2050lb. 8x18 trailer with same car in it. I'd be going from about a 5000lb. total and open trailer to about 6000lb. and a enclosed trailer. I'm wondering about visibility and stability and love my 07 sport trac with 4.6L and don't want to upgrade to a full size pickup.

Thank you

I'll be towing an open trailer. I don't think you'll have any probs with the enclosed trailer. Make sure you hook up an electric trailer brake. :)

Mine is doing very well towing an enclosed 20 ft trailer (large pop-up). I have the brake controller installed for the trailor and it pulls very well, even in the elevations with the truck out of OD. My dry weight is about 3600 lbs, but being as the ST is rated at about 6800 lbs with the 2WD, I would guess you would have no problems with what you decribe towing.

are you 4x4 or 4x2? the 4x2 can tow several hundred pounds more (7160 vs. 6990). also, other than you, what other bed or interior cargo, including people are you carrying at same time? that weight limit is TOTAL over a single 150 lb passnger (so if you weigh more throw a the rest of your weight in the equation) and base weight.

At any rate, based off the load you are proposing (car=3800lbs, trailer=2050lbs), you appear to be fine, doubt you would have an extra 900lbs thrown in, heh?

Also, pay attention to the tongue weight, and based off what I have been hearing from serious towers, not occasional, DO NOT skip the trailer brake controller.

I would be very interested to hear your experiences after the fact. Haven't had the chance to tow anything with my 07 (4.6L 4x4).

Definitely need to keep OD off, unless totally flat travel at highway speeds maintaining speed. But even then I have heard from pros to keep it off.

Latest posts