'05 4X2 Tires

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Boling

Reaction score
After 50,000 miles on the Wranglers, it's about time to pick out some replacements. Any suggestions? I do mostly interstate driving, and occasionally pull the boat. We have only 2 or 3 snow days a year here. Should I get another set of Wranglers, or is there something better?

Thanks

I'm on my second set of REVO's in 25,000 miles, not real happy with the treadwear. Think about BFG Long Trails.

Should I get another set of Wranglers, or is there something better?

You could yank the training wheels off a kids bike and it would be better. :lol:

All the suggestions above are good, but I'll throw my plug in for BFG T/A KO's. Excellent tire. Not too aggresive, but aggresive enough. Good wet traction, athough living in FL I can't give you a 'snow assessment'. Regardless, I do pull my boats a lot and after having them on now for going on 20,000 miles. I can still say they look as new as the day I got them with plenty of tread left.

I just replaced my tires last week with Michelin® X-Radial LT. They are really quiet compared to the Goodyears. If you're a CostCo member, they were only about $138.

I personally do not recommend going with the Toyo's because they have a maximum psi rating of 35 lbs. which throw all of the dampening work into the springs & shocks. I learned this from personal experience. I feel the ST is designed for and works best with LT rated tires that have a maximum psi rating of 44 lbs. With that said; we are now running Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza's - love 'em. I run 33 lbs. front and 35 lbs. rear.

Michelin Cross terrains are hard to beat for all driving conditions. Have 50k miles on mine and lots of life left. Guessing will get 70k out of them. If you do mostly paved road driving, you do not want A/T tires. Check tirerack.com and checkout the SUV and premium highway tires for recommendations. Here's a link that might help:

Last edited by a moderator:
Another vote for the Toyo Open Country A/T, HOWEVER, like Bill-E states, with the driving you do, you do not need an A/T tire, I would look into the non-A/T tires mentioned in this thread.

I would recommend Wild Spirit MPT (sometimes marketed as Wild Country APT). They are made by Multi-Mile. Not an expensive or big name tire but they are good, especially the way they repel water. I had 2 sets on my '00 Explorer, got 60,000 on the first set (not completely worn out) and the second set was going strong when I sold it. They are probably no better than some of the other mentioned tires but they probably are less expensive. I happen to really like the look of them, as well.

Latest posts