02 Sport trac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbower

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
Hello, new member who just bought an 02 sport trac with only 86k miles

Attachments

• IMG_0189.jpeg
    IMG_0189.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 4
Welcome to the site.

Welcome and congrats. Its slow here but good info. if you use FB check out the forums there too.

Hello, new member who just bought an 02 sport trac with only 86k miles
Welcome to the Herd ! Lots of friendly knowledgable folk in these forums.
Good looking SportTrac !
Be sure to remedy the known quarks\issues with this drivetrain: V6~4.0L~SOHC Engin + 5r55e Trans + 1354 TCase +...
so to not let them bite you in the butt before you get to much further down the road.

Last edited:
Welcome to the Herd ! Lots of friendly knowledgable folk in these forums.
Good looking SportTrac !
Be sure to remedy the known quarks\issues with this drivetrain: V6~4.0L~SOHC Engin + 5r55e Trans + 1354 TCase +...
so to not let them bite you in the butt before you get to much further down the road.
Thanks! Are there known issues with the transfer case? Don’t think mine has ever been touched so just a fluid change in order for it

Thanks! Are there known issues with the transfer case? Don’t think mine has ever been touched so just a fluid change in order for it
Common issues with the TCase is failure of the
4x4ShiftMotor (on backside of TCase, directly under DriversSeat), and the 4x4ControlModule (behind front right passenger kick panel);
both are relatively easy to replace.
Yep, personal recommendation is drain+renew TCase fluid every 33kMiles\4yrs, with MerconLV FullSyn ATF (Valvoline MaxLife or equal).
Best to excercise\test the 4x4 system once a month, switching thru 2WHi~4WHi~4WLo & back, driving at least a few feet in each mode,
so that things dont get too crusty & you've got some confidence that 4WD will work when\if you really need it.

Last edited:
Common issues with the TCase is failure of the
4x4ShiftMotor (on backside of TCase, directly under DriversSeat), and the 4x4ControlModule (behind front right passenger kick panel);
both are relatively easy to replace.
Yep, personal recommendation is drain+renew TCase fluid every 33kMiles\4yrs, with MerconLV FullSyn ATF (Valvoline MaxLife or equal).
Best to excercise\test the 4x4 system once a month, switching thru 2WHi~4WHi~4WLo & back, driving at least a few feet in each mode,
so that things dont get too crusty & you've got some confidence that 4WD will work when\if you really need it.
Okay good to know thanks! Unfortunately I don’t think the transfer case was ever done and it has 86k on it so I’ll put that at the top of my list.

The previous owner recently had some 4x4 module replaced (not sure what it’s called but it’s in the drivers side engine bay and has hydraulic lines)

Welcome,, nice trac with low miles,, hard to find these days.

Latest posts