02 Rear Drum Brakes part left over where does it go?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lester Durst

Reaction score
Finished replacing the rear brakes and spring kit on my 02 Sport TRac and found a thin nickle size washer (maybe a shim) with a large ID hole. I have no idea where it goes or why I didnt see it when I disassembled things. Found 2. One for each side I suppose.

I think it must of stiuck to some part that I removed and placed the parts in a solvent wash pan.

Brakes seem to work fine without it.

Help please.

If it's a drum brake, and if this was the first time it was ever removed, it might be the disposable "spring nut" that was used on the assembly line to keep the drum from falling off the hub.

I got out my 2002 service manual (I was unable to find a 2001 manual, so that's what I've got), and the very first steps in removing the drum are: "1. Remove and discard the spring nut. 2. Pull the brake drum off the axle shaft."

The illustration of the spring nut in those instructions looks like your description.

noheat: Thank you very much. Its not a spring nut. I removed those years ago when I pulled the drums off to look at the brake shoes etc.

These "washers" seem to be a shim as I mentioned about a nickle size, very thin, made from stainless steel I think, and they seem they would fit over a 7/16" 1/2" stud.

I went to the FOrd Parts web-site and looked up brake parks as they have pictures of the brake system. No where could I find these "shims". They seem to be size to fit on the "stud" on the backing plate that the ends of the brake shoes mount against.

Thoughts? Any mention of these in your books?

Sounds as if it might be the washer that goes on the star drive. For the adjuster.

It would be on the end, between the star wheel and the smaller sloted piece. That fits on the shoe.

ptf18, there is no mention of any washer or shim in the service manual instructions for removing shoes.

Following is the list of things to remove, in the order they are removed, to change shoes:

drum

shoe retracting springs (two of them, long and short)

brake shoe adjusting lever cable

cable guide

adjusting lever return spring

brake shoe adjusting lever

brake shoe adjusting screw spring

brake adjuster screw assembly

brake shoe anchor pin guide plate

parking brake strut

shoe hold-down springs

shoes and linings

brake shoe hold-down spring pins

The only things on this list that seems that could possibly look like a washer are the brake shoe anchor pin guide plate and the brake shoe hold-down spring pins - these items aren't illustrated very well so I'm not sure what they look like. Or maybe it's part of the "brake adjuster screw assembly"?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds as if it might be the washer that goes on the star drive. For the adjuster.

It would be on the end, between the star wheel and the smaller sloted piece. That fits on the shoe.

That would be my guess also.

Fellows: Thank you all. I have 2 of these thin washers left over and the brakes seem to work fine (as reported by the wife)

They might have gone on the adjusters as a few of you mentioned.

Now Ive got other "issues" with the engine not starting but I will post that else where.

thanks

Lester,

If they do go on the adjusters. They need to be there. They will bind and not adjust. The washer is meant to be a slider

An FYI, for those that dont know. The auto adjusters will work best. When hard braking in reverse or when you use the park brake. I have found they will adjust the drum brakes best. On some cars if you apply the park brake a few times while backing. When I had rear drums. I would do this at least once a month.

I was amazed when I found this tip. I went many most my life, wondering why rear drums didnt seem to work. I just hold the release while applying the park brake.

ptf18,

Just curious as to why you did not question the left over part (washer) when you did one side, and go look on the other side to see where the washer belonged before you took the other side appart?

I have been doing brakes for over 40 years and I will still only do one side at a time since it is easy to forget where a part went, or exactly how it should be installed...some people cannot recognize the difference between a leading and trailing brake shoe and install them backwards....even when they are marked?? :banghead:

...Rich