'02 OEM Hard Cover Help

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Schaecher

Reaction score
I have a hard cover I bought after I got my ST, but it is the OEM Hard Tonneau.

It's having a hard time with unlatching the locks at the tailgate and the latch at the cab is completely non-operational (it won't unlock).

Three questions:

1) Has this happened to others?

2) What was done to fix it?

3) What did it cost?

BONUS:

4) Is it stricktly a dealer repair or can I do it?

Ohhh ohhh BONUS Number 2:

5) Is there a recall or TSB that covers it?

Thanks ya'll...

I think the latching mechanisms can be adjusted back and forth for a better alignment. A star bolt needs to be loosened and you can try different positions.

You probably need new cable assemblies, front and rear.

You can test them by opening one of the covers, and pressing down on the locking hook on one of the latches. Now insert your key in the lock and turn it. If it will not unlock the part that hangs from the bottom of the lock cylinder and has the cables connected to, is bad.

In side the cable release housing is a small hooked release that is made of very thin plastic. This is about as thick as a fingernail. The very tip of the hook does all the work and it is very common for the very tip to break/chip off and the latches will no longer unlock.

You need to replace the cable assemblies (not cheap..About $60 each)

...Rich

It's mainly the latch towards the cab. The tail gate latch still works, but is just rough. I need to get the broken one fixed before Christmas as I will probably need to get the cover off for the trip home from visiting my daughter's grandparents.... she is the only grandchild on either side and she gets those HUGE gifts...

It sounds like the front cable hook has broken, and the rear cable hook is probably chipped. The roughness is caused by the small fragment of chipped plastic binding when the hook turns. It operates in a very narrow track and there is not much room for any debris.

You can actually rig up a device to open the front cover until you get the replacement cable assembly.

Just rigg up a heavy piece of wire to tie to the cable ends and long enought to reach from the tailgate. just pull the wire and it will release the latches.

...Rich

Well, I pulled the cab side latch cable last night. The el-cheapo mechanism is shot. The "emergency pull" broke when I pulled it to remove the cover. I ended up pulling brackets off the bed (later found a better way of releasing the latches by hand).

Anyone know what the cable assembly would run without the locking mechanism (it works fine)? How about a Ford PN?

I will probably take it to the local dealership this afternoon to get a quote. I have another dealer that I get 10% off at if the cost is worth it (they are 25+ miles away).

I never bought cables for mine...I made the EZLok to replace the whole lock and cable housing assemblies, however others who have replaced their's claim that they cost about $60+ each for the replacement cable/housing assembly.

...Rich

Here are the part numbers:

I've had mine replaced 3 times now. Twice under warranty and once out of warranty.

The last time I bought them from rusty at www.fordpartsfast.com. They used to be listed in the specials, but no longer. You might want to give them a call.

Front Cable Part# 1L5Z 99286B60 AA

Rear Cable Part# 1L5Z 99286B61 AA

Cost is around $30 for each assembly plus shipping, so around $70 total.

They've been holding up since, but I've been very ginger when turning my lock.

Good luck.