01 trailer wiring question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was never a tow package, so your Trac is not missing anything.

All Sport Trac's have a 4 pin harness out the back. Most small trailers, it will be fine. If you are towing something larger, then you need electric brakes.

That, you would need to wire yourself.

Tom

What wiring harness to I need to buy to hook up the lighting?

That depends on the type of wiring harness the trailer is equipped with. As Caymen stated, most smaller utility trailers and pop up campers use the 4 pin harness that is standard on your Trac. If the trailer you will be towing has a different connector, it will require additional wiring.

What and where would be a good place to purchase a towing package with stabalizers for an 01 ST? We are planning on buying a trabel trailer this summer and will be pulling it with the ST. is there a guide that shows how to wire the trailer for breaks, lights, etc.?

thanks

Neal

The best place to buy hitches would be at a trailer sales place or an RV dealer.

If you read my first reply on this thread, you will see part of your question answered.

Tom

Caymen - thanks for the info.....I guess I just need to get the hitch and I'm good to go (all I need to tow is a pop up).

This may be a dumb question, but where is the 4 pin harness located?

The 4 pin harness is right where you would hook a trailer up at. The back of your Trac. It will be below your bumper.

All you need is a hitch.

Tom

do you already own the pup? if not then make sure that it is a 4 pin harness on it.

my coleman pup has the 7 pin due to electric brakes but then it is a large pup.

Latest posts