‘The President Is Always Right’

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While it is true that the President is human and makes mistakes, as the Commander in Chief and chief executive of the country, government officials are bound by law to follow his lawful orders. Every government employee takes a sworn oath to follow the orders of the officers above them. So in a sense, Steve Bradbury is right. As long as the decision is lawful, the President's decisions are to be followed, even if everyone else doesn't agree with them. Doing otherwise will get a person fired or imprisoned.

I'm not talking about disobeying orders...

I think Richard Nixon expressed it another way:

"Well, when the president does it, that means that it is not illegal. — Richard M. Nixon"

Just curious if you think that would also apply to William Clinton....:huh:

Concur with Nelson - it's a matter of perspective. If you're an underling of the most powerful man on earth, and if what he tells you is not illegal - he's not wrong.

Then on the other hand, "Only one entity is never wrong," has got to be describing my wife.

:p

Cue the banjos...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GdzThgveHwQ"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GdzThgveHwQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Bush is an enigma. How a Connecticut yankee is mistaken as a good ol' boy, I'll never know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fer,

I joined the military just before Reagan left office and served under both Bushes and Clinton. It just doesn't matter who is in charge, because we all follow the orders of the President.

It may just be me, but I don't really care what party a candidate belongs to as long as he makes intelligent decisions. I was a registered Democrat nearly my whole adult life. I changed parties two years ago. I've voted for John Anderson (Ind - 1980), Ronald Reagan (Rep - 1984), George Bush (Rep - 1988), H. Ross Perot (Ind - 1992), Bill Clinton (Dem - 1996) and George W. Bush (Rep - 2000 & 2004). Yeah, I've thrown my votes away a few times, but I voted with who I thought was the best candidate every time, regardless of party affiliation.

That is why I like to call the Tyrant in office, King George III.

I am sorry, Bush should have been "Like father, like son...ONE TERM!!!" I think he is bad news.

Tom

I think I see a little string on the side of his neck- "the President is always right" comes out when you pull it. If the President said a terrorist cell was in your house, would that be right? If the president said "of course we get warrants when we order surveillance, so its legal" and later says " no of course I don't need a warrant, I'm the President" which time was he right? When he said Saddam was actively seeking Uranium in Africa, but he knew this to be untrue, was he right? The Germans thought Hitler was always right and look what happened. The poor Cambodians thought Pol Pot was right so they killed all the educated people and put their own country in the dark ages. I'm sorry, but the for me, whole point of a free country is having the right to sometimes stand up and say to your leaders "I think you are wrong".

Agh yes, the Bush/Hitler comparison...that train's never late!

Clinton lied about a BJ and was impeached. If Bush lied about going to war like so many claim, how come he hasn't been impeached yet?

TJR

There's a very good reason. However, I'm not going to answer TJR's question, I'll just get flamed for it and kick the dueling banjos into the kickass part.

Those the ran the concentration camps were called murderers. They were only following their leader.

Those within the ranks of al-Qaeda that follow their leader are hunted down and killed. They are only following their leader.

Those people are bad. Our president has sent how many of our soldiers to a sand box and brought home in a body bag? Those soldiers are sent to the sand box to kill those that follow another leader.

Our soldiers are only doing what they are told to do. We have the right, as lasik1 has said, to stand up and say "you are not right!". Those that follow al-Qaeda and Hitler were not allowed to do that.

Just because the president says something does not mean he is right and we do not have to listen to what he says. That is tyranny to the fullest extent. Only the lemmings will follow someone like that. If you disagree, you are unpatriotic by many peoples definitions.

I disagree, those that fight back are the patriotic ones. They stand behind what the constitution says and that is the ultimate form of patriotism.

Tom

President of the United States (Executive Branch)

According to the 20th Amendment to the Constitution, a President's term of office begins at 12:00 p.m. (noon) on January 20th of the year following an election. In order to assume his/her duties, the President-elect must recite the Oath of Office. The Oath is administered by the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court. The President-elect places his hand on the Bible, raises his right hand, and takes the Oath as directed by the Chief Justice. The Oath, as stated in Article II, Section I, Clause 8 of the U.S. Constitution, is as follows:

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

I think it is interesting that this thread even exists with the events of this week in India, Lebanon, Israel, and the Gaza Strip. No one is bombing our trains, lobbing missiles over our borders or bombing our airports or Capital City. Our press is still free to spout whatever they want, we can post whatever we want here without fear of the government arresting us, and we have the freedom to do almost anything we want with our lives. Our Constitution is still here, and the US is one of the safest places to be in the World today.

Clinton lied about a BJ and was impeached. If Bush lied about going to war like so many claim, how come he hasn't been impeached yet?

Three words:

Republican controlled Congress.

Nelson,

Why does this thread exist?:wacko:

Because the Leftards have to do a roll call every so often. It is cyclic here I've noticed.

Just 'wait' until their NY girl enters the race, things will really start getting interesting here.

:lol::lol::lol:

EricP replies to my question:
Republican controlled Congress.

Sorry, not buying it. If the Dems really had something against Bush they would leak it to the press and try him in the court of public opinion. To some extent they have already tried that again and again, but all attacks leave him still standing...sure, bruised and down in the opinion polls, but still standing.

I guess if you muster all the brainpower of the entire Democratic party you still can't get anyone close to Ken Starr. ;)

TJR

I too am surprised that this thread is on a site dedicated to Sport Tracs. I come hear for information about my truck. When I want politics, I shop over at http://www.freerepublic.com which is a pretty conservative site. However, if your tastes are more liberal, progressive or whatever it is you are calling yourselves these days you can shop at http://www.democraticunderground.com/ but beware many of the people who post on that side of the fence are young and don't have a vocabulary that extends beyond 4-letter words and conspiracy theories.

You'll get all the debate you can handle at either one of those sites. Here, let's talk about Sport Trac and avoid the bumper stickers we put on them.