You won't believe this!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Rose

Reaction score
So, I've had my 07' ST for about 6 months now and everything was great up until about a month ago. I woke up to go to work and when I started the truck my check engine light and traction control light was on. Very confusing seeing as how when I parked it that night everything was fine. I had no time to take a look at it so I drove into work and noticed that it was hesitant and coughing along the way. Once at work I put a diagnostic tester on it and it said that the engine temperature gauge wasn't working. I then noticed that this was true. I finally opened the hood and was amazed by what I saw. A damn rat had ate through my wiring in the engine bay. There was rat shit everywhere and it had all kinds of food, ranging from beef jerky to bread lying on the engine block. I was shocked! I've heard of this in a vehicle that is sitting for a while but never in one that gets driven everyday. Anyway, it was covered by my insurance company and it was in the shop until a week ago. They repaired one wire and everything works as advertised now. I have since laid rat poison all around the house and garage and have seen no signs of the little bastard anywhere. I have the worst luck on the planet.

We put out poison for a mouse that was in our house. When we saw that the box was empty, we thought he was a goner! Then we found the pile of rat poison in the dishwasher! We didn't even know he could get in there and out again! Apparently he was full from already eating our food, and stored the poison for later.:blink:

Eventually I got him with a snap trap.:) he wasn't dead yet, so I took him outside and ran over him with the truck!:eek: Quickest way I could think of at the time.:(

You crushed the bastard with your truck? :eek:

I agree with Jerry G. -

By the way, dreman... Have you lost weight? You look GREAT!! :unsure:

One of my funniest childhood memories is my dad chasing a mouse around the garage with a 5 lb. sledge. :D

When I was a young teenager, we lived out in the country and mice came in to the house all the time, especially when it started getting cold outside. A buddy and I would stay up at night to "hunt" mice.. (Picture Two 13 year olds with pellet guns and plastic flashlights taped to them.) We caught a few with lucky shots, but most of the time they got away and the pellets just bounced off of them or wouldnt do enough damage to stop them. (My mom made us stop when she found out what we were doing) :lol:

Well, I wasn't going to tell the rest of the story, but here goes...

My wife and I were sitting in the living room when we hear the SNAP of the trap, and I went to the kitchen to see the damage. Before I got there, though, there were a series of thumps, and then a final loud thump. In the kitchen I found a counter covered with blood, and a trail of blood to the edge near the stove. I pulled the stove out and found the mouse, still alive, with the trap attached to him by what was left of his leg. I knew he probably wasn't going to live long with the loss of blood and the mangled leg, so I tried to think of the fastest way to put him out of his misery. We didn't have a shotgun, so running over him with the truck seemed to be the quickest way possible to end his suffering.

Then I went in the kitchen and spent almost an hour cleaning up the blood! I didn't think he was big enough to have so much in him!

To get rid of rats & mice, I use a stuff called 'Just One Bite' which I purchase from the local feed store. I put these bars in my garage and under my spa out back. They love the stuff, but it kills them quick.

You don't want to have this stuff anywhere your pets can get to it. It can kill them as well.

I don't use traps anymore for the hastle of having to clean them or deal with a trail of blood.

Since this stuff gives them a sevier case of thirst, they usually exit the garage or your yard to seek water someplace else and die someplace else.

Get on of these, I had a mouse problem and I killed two mice in two days. They are clean, simple, and humane (if thats your thing, though it may not be after what he did to your trac).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hed been seeing "mouse residue" in the garage recently, especially around where we keep the dog food (which is in a large plastic container, but there is an occasional escapee when we fill the dog dish). I put out traps. Put dog food on them. Went inside to talk to the wife. 5 minutes. SNAP! Got one. Dumped him in the trash can. Reset. Next morning, there's another one. Dumped him. Reset. Came home from work and there's a third. Havn't caught any since.