Yet another question for those of us who tow

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Tomczak

Reaction score
My trailer towing needs have recently evolved past what the Sport Trac is currently equiped to handle. I will now require a 7 pin conector and trailer brake controller. I went ot my local RV place and got the 4way to 7 way and the brake controler. I also put the deposit down on a air bag to help the suspension handle the extra wieght. The question is, for those of you, like myself, who have 2002-2005 Sport tracs, where did you put your 7 way? It came with a bracket to attatch it to the botom of the bumper. But because we have a plastic bumper, it doesn't seem very secure. I would like to simply drill a hole in the plastic to the left of the license plate/ bumper hitch area, but there is alot of metal behind the platic that looks fairly stuctural (Sp?) Any ideas?

See pics in my library for location. i placed the bracket to the left of the hitch up inder the bumper... the cord is long enough to reach on the rv...

for the +12v, Brake, and Ground, i bought a 12/3 extension cord for the cable, cut the ends off, and ran it up the frame to the engine compartment to interface with the brake controller....

STanner how did you mount the bracket there? Did you just attach it to the plastic? Ideally, in a perfect world, I would like to drill a hole in the center of the bumper right above where you mounted it. Does anyone know if it is posible or should I just mount it on the botom of the bumpper?

There are nuts/bolts on the metal under the bumper. loosten the one where you want to mount your plug. Slide the bracket under the nut and tighten back up.

Works great and no holes to drill!!!

Tom

I mounted a six pin connector in place of one of the license plate lights. The light just pops out, and the hole is fairly large, but it might not accept the 7 pin receptacle. If you would like I will post pictures later. The remaining license plate light gives plenty of illumination,, and it does make for a very clean installation. If the hole is too small for the seven pin, you might check, very few trailers use all seven connections.

Latest posts