y-pipes

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel Park

Reaction score
hello. I got dual glasspack mufflers installed on my truck awhile back, and i looked under the car today, and the y-pipe looks like the shop took 3 pieces of pipe and just welded them together. :blink: If i got a new y-pipe, say like magnaflows 2.25 y-pipes, would it enhance the performance/sound?:wacko:

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe...

Depends on what size pipe they used and how it was welded together. If they cut a hole in the pipe and slid the other pipe onto that hole then you have the end of one pipe directly in the flow of the exhaust.

My shop does custom pipe bending. We make a flange for the connection thus no restriction at the joints.

Any time you can increase the size of the pipe the less back pressure you have. That said, if you have a connection or smaller pipe behind it somewhere then you've gained virtually nothing...

I dont know the answer to your question but how did you get 2 mufflers under there. I know you could do 2 pipes but mufflers whered did you put the second one

I sell the Random Tech y-pipes. 2.5" from the manifold flanges back to the collector where it connects to the catalytic convertor flange. $315 shipped.

Sounds like they simply cut out the cats and installed pieces of pipe to replace them... The new y pipe will help a little with sound and performance. Pick up one from wayne, IT is well worth it...

Todd Z